Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Matrix vs Ghostbusters

* Neo is the 6th integral anomaly
    * On the 6th day, man was created and all god's creations completed. On the 7th day the god of the bible takes a rest
    * The TV series The Prisoner features the hero which is held captive and given the number #6. As Neo runs through the old lady's apartment who throws a knife at him near the end in The Matrix, we see an image on the TV of a menacing man in a black suit coat. The image is that of #2 from this TV series.
    * 6 is mathematically the first perfect number (= a number that is the sum of its divisors): 1+2+3=6

Pi (=3.14...)

* Smith, when possessing Bane, cuts a Pi symbol into his hand
    * Neo has 314 seconds to enter the door to the Architect

16 females, 7 males

Architect: "The function of the One is now to return to the Source... After which, you will be required to select from the Matrix 23 individuals - 16 female, 7 male - to rebuild Zion."

* 23 is half the number of human chromosomes (46)
    * Genesis 7:16 (NIV): “The animals going in were male and female of every living thing, as God had commanded Noah. Then the LORD shut him in.”

DE2852 (The Pale Twins' car during the highway chase)

* Bible: Deuteronomy 28:52
    "They shall besiege you in all your towns, until your high and fortified walls, in which you trusted, come down throughout all your land. And they shall besiege you in all your towns throughout all your land, which the Lord, your God, has given you."

DA203 (Trinity and Morpheus' car)

* Bible: Daniel 2:03
    "I have had a dream that troubles me and I want to know what it means."

IS5416 (Agent Smith's car, when he brings his earpiece to Neo)

* Bible: Isaiah 54:16
    See, it is I who created the blacksmith
    who fans the coals into flame
    and forges a weapon fit for its work.
    And it is I who have created the destroyer to work havoc;

Watched the Matrix the other day. It's a top film. Although some of it has aged horribly - the super slow mo machine gunning cops sequence feels like such an outmoded idea of cool. (I am willing to bet that this was my favourite scene as a yoot.)
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    Corpse, have you seen Paprika?
    Yes I have, thought it was amazing.

That was the major problem I had with Inception, aside from all its boring exposition and overwrought psychological whining (Nolan's inability to "do" humans - unless they're robotic or hysterical)

- how boring its rendering of the dreamworld was

Maybe that's missing the point, but a film like Paprika makes full use of dream's possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I'd have thought that if any ideology = barbarism then surely it's Anarcho-primitivism?
    Not really, because barbarism is the stage after what used to be called 'savagery' (band-level hunter-gatherer societies, in more precise terms, which I think is what the anarcho-primitivist crew are getting at - and which has, I think, also been called 'primitive communism'). Think Celts, Vikings, Huns, Scythians, Mongols. Barbarian societies are ultra-warlike, ultra-materialistic and ultra-hierarchical. Surely the precise opposite of what communism aims at, or purports to.

That's why I find it such a puzzling and obviously faulty equation.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Watched the Matrix the other day. It's a top film. Although some of it has aged horribly - the super slow mo machine gunning cops sequence feels like such an outmoded idea of cool. (I am willing to bet that this was my favourite scene as a yoot.)
    It draws very heavily from Neuromancer and Neuromancer has the same very uncool notion of the cool. "righteous dub mon"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It was embarrassing at the time. It only ever appealed to school shooters on an aesthetic level. The leather trench coats and the wrap around shades. Cyber-Crusties. Now it's more endearing than cringe though. There's enough distance. Nerds creating nerd hacker boyfriends (Neo/Case) who somehow manage to pull sexy ninja assassin ladies. (Molly/Trinity)

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It draws very heavily from Neuromancer and Neuromancer has the same very uncool notion of the cool. "righteous dub mon"
    Ha, yeah - I mean I enjoyed the book but the space-rastas, in particular, are well cringe.

I'm not sure you can judge the book's shades/trench-coats/latex aesthetic too harshly, though, purely on the basis that it was largely the origin of all that stuff. Interesting to compare it to Blade Runner, the other main point of origin for all things cyberpunk, which IMO has aged pretty well. Perhaps that's because the film's aesthetic was already partly retro as well as futuristic.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It was embarrassing at the time. It only ever appealed to school shooters on an aesthetic level. The leather trench coats and the wrap around shades. Cyber-Crusties. Now it's more endearing than cringe though. There's enough distance. Nerds creating nerd hacker boyfriends (Neo/Case) who somehow manage to pull sexy ninja assassin ladies. (Molly/Trinity)
    The "acceptable" way to read that scene is it's doing a video game (like the Kung Fu fighting - with that silly but endearing bit where Keanu mugs Bruce Lee)

But there's also the problem that the cops they're massacring (I think I'm right in saying) aren't bots like the agents. They're real people in a VR world. So it isn't actually all that cool massacring them.

It's a bit like that scene in the police station in terminator except the murderous cyborg is the HERO.

They're often killing people when they manage to kill or stop an agent too as the agents seem to morph into passersby then morph back out when they die, like that one Trinity shoots in the head after Neo does his limbo thing.

Something about super-slo mo action and nerds

A specific type of nerd

The sort of nerd who jizzes over 300.

Adolescent PHWOARRR shots

The action scenes in 300 are like the film equivalent of fucking about with the replays in football games.

It made sense to use it in the Matrix esp because slowmotion cameras are a way of us seeing reality more intensely, decoding it almost