Corpsey

bandz ahoy
May vs Corbyn is a foregone conclusion, let's have a really substantive argument.

Or let's just watch Luka and Craner have one.

neo_kung_fu.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You should've made this a poll, innit. Matrix is a fine film but it's got to be Ghostbusters for me.

luka

difference between me and craner can be placed inside a nutshell
its the opposition between pleasure principle and reality principle
the-matrix-reloaded.jpgthe-matrix-reloaded.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Trying to think what my favourite film is now without sounding/being pretentious

So I don't want to say Wild Strawberries even tho it is probably - it's pretentious and sentimental and cynical and bleak and occasionally funny - LIKE ME!

The movie/s I've watched most in my life are probably the lord of the rings movies which I have a deep and 80% ironic affection for. There's about 20% of genuinely thrilling and scary bits in the trilogy and the rest is all horribly pompous and/or twee guff and that's the stuff I enjoy because of years of pisstaking and injokes between me and various friends I've forced to watch them again and again and again. I saw it in a cinema not long ago (literally all three back to back) and it was really weird cos all the nerds there were GENUINELY laughing at the terrible jokes and slapstick.

luka

just watched the matrix again. best film of all time. by a long way. it's not even close.
but serious flaws. namely, a)the music b)the costumes.

there's 2 seriously headfuck weird coincidences i know of regarding the matrix
one is that the trenchcoat lobby scene is pure columbine
the other is that neo's id card expires on the 9th september 2001.

just watched the matrix again. best film of all time. by a long way. it's not even close.
but serious flaws. namely, a)the music b)the costumes.

there's 2 seriously headfuck weird coincidences i know of regarding the matrix
one is that the trenchcoat lobby scene is pure columbine
the other is that neo's id card expires on the 9th september 2001.

trenchcoat lobby scene - ruined by propellerheads, as you allude to above.

mate, it was 9/11 not 9/9 when jet fuel melted steel beams.

but you're right...
n0bvB.jpg

It's good, but not as good as My Dinner with Andre (which was re-released a month after The Matrix)

Last edited:

luka

was just saying to mistersloane on facebook that this film drilled itself very very deep into the collective unconscious. it really did operate as myth. took hold on thát level. still exerts a huge pull as myth.

in that sense it's by far and away thr most important film since terminator and arguably even star wars.

i dont think you can understate the extent to which it's embedded itself in the psyche

Reactions: sus

luka

although i love the film i dont by any means consider it's
impact to be wholly or even predominantly benevolent.
it radically weakened our sense of the realness of reality and replaced it with precisely nothing,
or at best, pasted a kind of regressive superhero/messiah fantasy on top.

luka

one of my rules is that no matter how unmoored i become, no matter how far i float into space i will always treat the game as if it were real. that even if it is not real (and im by no means convinced that it is), it is crucial to treat it as real. to treat other people as real. to consider suffering as the greatest wrong and causing suffering as the greatest evil, not as a video game in which all of the rules can be broken with impunity.

luka

whats any of that guna mean to you lot? absolutely fuck all. but dont mind me im just thinking out loud
and this is the place im accustomed to doing that in.

whats any of that guna mean to you lot? absolutely fuck all. but dont mind me im just thinking out loud
and this is the place im accustomed to doing that in.

Of course it's all real. The refutation is obvious. "it's all a simulation" is another manifestation of the computational fallacy, along with strong AI & mind uploading, but with the additional physical hurdle of the quantum Hall effect where each additional particle in the system applies intractable computational overheads. The only way to do it is to do it. And that's just bare, dark gravel reality, even before anything wakes up in here.