Why Do Millenials Hate Genre?

CrowleyHead

I probably wrote myself into a hole at least twice tbf so if you think there's an argument you'd like to make against me I'll hear it. More than likely I fucked up whatever I meant to say.

firefinga

@genre wars .... I was a teenager through the 1990s and frankly, can't even remember much genre warfare going on back then. There was the indie-rock crowd though who would be somewhat hostile towards dance and Hip Hop, mostly motivated by the very conservative notion of those two genres being sample based/done with synths and computers it wasn't "honest" music bc they didn't play "real instruments".

martin

----
Think people are mixing up 'genres' with 'subcultures', though. The fashion element was also important. You could have a zillion Trojan and Blue Beat records but if you turned up to a skinhead bash with the wrong size turn-ups, or a pair of winkle-pickers, you'd be exposed as a dilletante or - even worse - a POSER (and probably given a kick up the arse).

Similarly, one of the most strikingly goth-looking people I've ever met was far more interested in stuff like Michelle Shocked, 10,000 Maniacs, etc, than anything that'd make a Quietus 'Top 20 Goth Records Ever' list. And I doubt townies hated emos purely on musical grounds.

It did all fizzle out by the 1990s, though. Or at least became more simple. Where I lived, it was kids in flattop cuts, fluorescent ski jackets, Mr Byrite jeans or shellsuits vs. anyone who looked remotely different (or dressed in black).

here was the indie-rock crowd though who would be somewhat hostile towards dance and Hip Hop

Agree about dance though, in my personal experience, almost everyone I knew in the early '90s, even the indie crowd, were pretty familiar with PE and NWA at least, if only for the notoriety. 'Black Sunday' seemed as much a staple platter as 'Nevermind'.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

There was the indie-rock crowd though who would be somewhat hostile towards dance and Hip Hop, mostly motivated by the very conservative notion of those two genres being sample based/done with synths and computers it wasn't "honest" music bc they didn't play "real instruments".

thats a genre war
i remember my 6th form in the 90s and indie kids would not touch r&b or rap or garage.
unless it was a gorillaz remix.
doesnt mean they wanted to fight you. but genre wars can include derision, dismissal, rather than outright aggression.