Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's the Best Artist Since 2000?

Noughties I probably spent the most time listening to Trim and Wiley.

Gaga should be in there though for the wtf impact she had on the mainstream. Also tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Interesting picks, what's your reasoning.

Gaga's come up a couple of times. What's the thinking behind that?
    influence, inevitable due to their major labels and marketing, media presence, etc etc. good pop songs. influence on the cultural mores/social justice warrior concerns of millenials (eg feminism, LGBT rights, etc etc).

i couldnt stand lorde's green light this year but shes obv going to be very 'important' for a lot of young music fans. who else writes like her and gets in the pop charts? i also hate taylor swift and actually cant stand most of her music/her as a person but she has more than a few undeniably excellent pop songs, and she might be the most powerful woman in modern (pop) music. gaga has fallen off but that new katy perry album (or the image shes adopted to go with it at least) is very post-gaga (also shit, as no one liked katy perry for serious pop statements, much less derivative ones).

kanye is my favourite artist of the past 15 years though, and the greatest pop star of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberdingyrapids View Post
    influence, inevitable due to their major labels and marketing, media presence, etc etc. good pop songs. influence on the cultural mores/social justice warrior concerns of millenials (eg feminism, LGBT rights, etc etc).
    I just don't see where Gaga's influence is? Her politics have been very very flimsy and outdated. Beyonce's last 3-4 years have had more adherence to so-called SJW mores than Gaga, who kind of has no further lip service to anyone than say Madonna might've. Madge's was just more implied than how Gaga explicitly made hers about (both also get proven to be more and more crass with time).

Also Gaga isn't so much a creature of Marketing as much as she's an active participant of the industry who the industry rewarded; she was ghostwriting or regular writing, and then came up, and that became a very very frequently rewarded model within the last decade or so in pop (Ke$ha) or genres not considered inherently mainstream (Frank Ocean, PartyNextDoor). She wasn't say a Britney Spears who learned how to be a pop star through self-development and training to be a dance/vocal entity. She was actually originally a singer-songwriter in the Regina Spektor vein who slowly tried to work her way in (Kesha, another parallel I keep going back to, was the daughter of a music industry pro).

If anything, were other people who followed in her footsteps AWARE of that as a career model, that would be her influence for sure. But very very few people as artists were as impacted by her as you think. Of course, maybe that's because her absolute irrelevance for the past 3-4 years has made it feel that way, especially how she tried to latch onto Beyonce (the definite everlasting popstar of the last two decades give or take) and instead got chewed up and spat out. Hell Beyonce even got the better duet.

i dont really care about any of them, but i was just pointing out that they are 'important', whether you like them or not. but im prob missing out loads of people.

That's the thing, I own Gaga's first two records, I'm not saying this as a detractor but as someone who is coming a decade after her impact like "... that's all we got?"

Kanye, you can see that. Beyonce, you can see that. Wiley and even Dizzee, of course. Gaga?? Eh.

Beyonce is first and foremost self-important. She's the perfect embodyment of the crappy "me me me" culture of overbloated egos of today. so yeah, I guess that makes her "important" on a bigger scale.

Kanye is conservative, backwards looking, nostalgic. Fell back from the forward positions won by the generation before. Him and just blaze. So he cant win. Wiley obviously.

Grime is the best music from this period, so I can understand picking the most influential or the best grime artists. My only qualm with that would be that grime had a short creative lifespan and didn't really evolve beyond the mid-2000's.

In terms of influence T Pain popularised autotune. The novel use of autotune has lead to some of the most paradigm shifty music of the last 17 years; late-00's dancehall, afrobeats, chicago bop and the post-Future wave of Atlanta rap. But while T Pain's been influential I don't think his music can be said to be the best.

I'd personally pick Kartel. He's made lots of music, it's diverse (novelty songs, daseca war tunes, melodramatic ballads, alien autotune tracks, virtuoso word bombardment), he's got tons of choons under his belt and has done some of the most interesting things with autotune.

I'll put Young thug in 2nd place for similar reasons; diversity, choons, paradigm shift, lots of music.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Kanye is conservative, backwards looking, nostalgic. Fell back from the forward positions won by the generation before. Him and just blaze. So he cant win.
    You'd say that about the first 2, 2.5 albums for certain but I think those are shit anyway. Did you engage with the last two albums in particular?

No. I managed to avoid them completely. Im 37. I'm not obliged to listen to new kanye albums.
    I know MBDTF or whatever it was called is supposed to be influential.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    No. I managed to avoid them completely. Im 37. I'm not obliged to listen to new kanye albums.
    I know MBDTF or whatever it was called is supposed to be influential.
    Its inspired a lot of songs that sound like movie trailers and some boring rock bands.

I think your takes on Yeezus and The Life of Pablo would be fascinating tbh.

Ugh you're bullying me into listening... Tell me your take first and i'll youtube as soon as I've got time

Long story short, albums based around the concept of fear of Black Vulgarity in America. TLOP also has a lot of themes of failure in becoming an adult, family, paranoia, God. He stopped being inherently autobiographical and thinking like a director of musicals and now he's a conceptual artist, and it works because he so effectively isolates everyone who used to like him.

Its basically a fully-fleshed version of Puffy's solo concepts that Puffy was too limited to achieve in the 90s due to an inability to distort his influences.

nothing nostalgic about kanyes last two albums.
    in fact, since and including graduation, id say the nostalgic, 90s-holdover allegations dont hold.

i stopped listening to vybz kartel a long time ago but im going to reinvestigate.

love young thug but cant really listen to anything of his since 1017 thug in any sustained sort of listening.

also important: the xx. burial. skream.