DannyL

Wild Horses
I think Gucci had a ridiculously strong run from 2008-2015 (whenever he went in last), and can be seen as the founding father for the whole Atlanta sound as well as bringing through people like Thug, Future etc. But I'm biased.

rubberdingyrapids

kanye west.

or dizzee rascal.

obv wileys more important to grime, but dizzee is/was just better. higher peaks than wiley ever had, even if wileys been more consistent (which feels like a weird thing to say considering all that hes released).

firefinga

I assume you mean muscial artist/musician here?

There should be a "best artist" 2000-2009 and one 2010 - now, IMO at least.

entertainment

Why would you put Beyonce in there? Isn't she more of a product of the industry than the other way around? She's also the only mentioned here that has absolutely no personality. Kanye for me, even though My ... Fantasy is overrated.

CrowleyHead

Its wild because Gaga hasn't been worth a thing culturally for the past 4 years??? She had a hot 5 year run but... I don't think she even has any influence past that point.

Numbers

I assumed people were joking when listing the above artists. If not, the dissonance between this thread and the values usually professed on this board is quite interesting.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think "best" is too vague. It could mean successful or influential or just something that someone finds personally satisfying.

The most satisfying new musical acts for me this decade would be Seekers International and Jay Glass Dubs.

john eden

male pale and stale
Noughties I probably spent the most time listening to Trim and Wiley.

Gaga should be in there though for the wtf impact she had on the mainstream. Also tunes.

rubberdingyrapids

Interesting picks, what's your reasoning.

Gaga's come up a couple of times. What's the thinking behind that?

influence, inevitable due to their major labels and marketing, media presence, etc etc. good pop songs. influence on the cultural mores/social justice warrior concerns of millenials (eg feminism, LGBT rights, etc etc).

i couldnt stand lorde's green light this year but shes obv going to be very 'important' for a lot of young music fans. who else writes like her and gets in the pop charts? i also hate taylor swift and actually cant stand most of her music/her as a person but she has more than a few undeniably excellent pop songs, and she might be the most powerful woman in modern (pop) music. gaga has fallen off but that new katy perry album (or the image shes adopted to go with it at least) is very post-gaga (also shit, as no one liked katy perry for serious pop statements, much less derivative ones).

kanye is my favourite artist of the past 15 years though, and the greatest pop star of the times.

CrowleyHead

influence, inevitable due to their major labels and marketing, media presence, etc etc. good pop songs. influence on the cultural mores/social justice warrior concerns of millenials (eg feminism, LGBT rights, etc etc).

I just don't see where Gaga's influence is? Her politics have been very very flimsy and outdated. Beyonce's last 3-4 years have had more adherence to so-called SJW mores than Gaga, who kind of has no further lip service to anyone than say Madonna might've. Madge's was just more implied than how Gaga explicitly made hers about (both also get proven to be more and more crass with time).

Also Gaga isn't so much a creature of Marketing as much as she's an active participant of the industry who the industry rewarded; she was ghostwriting or regular writing, and then came up, and that became a very very frequently rewarded model within the last decade or so in pop (Ke$ha) or genres not considered inherently mainstream (Frank Ocean, PartyNextDoor). She wasn't say a Britney Spears who learned how to be a pop star through self-development and training to be a dance/vocal entity. She was actually originally a singer-songwriter in the Regina Spektor vein who slowly tried to work her way in (Kesha, another parallel I keep going back to, was the daughter of a music industry pro).

If anything, were other people who followed in her footsteps AWARE of that as a career model, that would be her influence for sure. But very very few people as artists were as impacted by her as you think. Of course, maybe that's because her absolute irrelevance for the past 3-4 years has made it feel that way, especially how she tried to latch onto Beyonce (the definite everlasting popstar of the last two decades give or take) and instead got chewed up and spat out. Hell Beyonce even got the better duet.

rubberdingyrapids

i dont really care about any of them, but i was just pointing out that they are 'important', whether you like them or not. but im prob missing out loads of people.

CrowleyHead

That's the thing, I own Gaga's first two records, I'm not saying this as a detractor but as someone who is coming a decade after her impact like "... that's all we got?"

Kanye, you can see that. Beyonce, you can see that. Wiley and even Dizzee, of course. Gaga?? Eh.