The Hardcore Continuum In 3 Tracks

sadmanbarty

Pick 3 tracks that encapsulate as much of what you like about the hardcore continuum as possible. I know it's restrictive, but that's the fun of it.

john eden

male pale and stale
1. Ragga Twins - 18" Speaker
2. UK Apache & Shy Fx - Original Nuttah
3. Wiley - Wot Do U Call It

Off the top of me head, like.

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
Hah, noice idea...

1 Demon Boyz - Dett (Speaker Feeder Mix)
2 Rufige Kru - Dark Metal (Source Direct Remix)
3 Durrty Goodz - Switching Songs pt 2

The last one is somewhat cheating... but hey....

c.

Last edited:

PiLhead

1/ Phuture Assassins - Roots 'N' Future (Make Dem Know Mix)

2/ DJ Hype & Ganja Max (Feat MC Fats & DJ Daddy) - Rinse Out

3/ God's Gift - "Mic Tribute" aka "Tribute to 32 MCs"

PiLhead

i don't know if you could sum it up in 3 tracks, it's so rich and wide-ranging, but you could crystallise a sort of a slice across the continuum, a single facet of it

so Phuture Assassins / Rinse out / Mic Tribute is a stab at the the talk-over / chat lineage coming out of Jamaica, and the role of MCs all the way through

"Roots n' future" has the word "roots" in the title, the "make dem know" bit, but also sounds quite nutty (almost got a kind of hava nagila like bounce to it) - it's hardcore

"Rinse out" - jungle-era - more baleful and gruff

"mic tribute" - value for money: 32 legendary MCs signature licks expertly mimicked, plus God's Gift's own flow - and it's MCs much more in the dancehall / fast-chat sense than hip hop sense i think - plus its UKG + MCs as prequel to grime - but this track (or the version i like anyway) bubbles buoyantly along

but you could do a whole other line running say the euro-technoid / dark, cold, brutal thing... or the jazzy, lushly musical, quasi-soundtrack thing... or the ecstatic hyper-orgasmic house-diva thing

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
Explanations would be appreciated. What in particular about each track?
The tracks should speak for themselves ideally... :p
But let's see, it's obviously all very subjective.

1 - demon boyz were the stand out for me of the first wave of accent-appreciative UK hiphop, and the Dett, without being obviously jungle, is a mixture of their hiphop/reggae/dancehall roots as well as doing something new under the influence of the new ish uk hardcore sound from around 89-92
2 - this could have easily been Remarc's - R.I.P. or Krome & Time's - License for me as well, in terms of monumental tracks for a genre/subgenre... but, since 1 & 3 are already vocal driven and nod to the soundsystem foundation, something instrumental & technical was needed here for diversity which for me was/is an integral part of the nuum
3 - multiple uk garage, grime & dubstep favourites rolled into one, with Durrty in top form over all of them, executed incredibly well.... how could you not...?

c.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

i don't know if you could sum it up in 3 tracks, it's so rich and wide-ranging, but you could crystallise a sort of a slice across the continuum, a single facet of it

I’m going for the opposite tact, trying to cram as much diversity into three tracks as possible. It's taken an hour to come up with these three. They’re not necessarily my favorites, but they allude to a lot of the currents I like in the hardcore continuum.

Tempa T- Stop Acting Shady (off of Slack’s Slew Dem Comp)

Grime’s one of the best genre’s in the nuum, so I’d be remiss not to include any. My personal taste is the rougher stuff rather than the more comical stuff (Eskimo, Hoods Up, etc.) and this fits in that vein. I’m not much of a fan of 2 and 4 drums in any genre, which is partly why Jungle and Grime appeal to me so much. This one’s pretty syncopated and the clap and snare interlocking is great. It has a Darkcore-ish sound palette (and experimantalism) and manic stabs like Hardcore. The pirate radio sound quality is a bonus. Ideally it’d have a different MC on it though.

Remarc- RIP (Remarc Remix)

To me Jungle’s by far the greatest genre of all time, so I’m definitely including some. This one really shows the rhythmic sophistication achieved at times in the hardcore continuum. It uses a number of bass timbres, so it’s an example of the continuum's bass mutation lineage. It has the kind of chopped upped vocals explored in Garage a few years down the line too. The fact they’re Jamaicn vocals is a bonus. It sounds like an attempt to evoke Hardcore’s frenzy using Jungle’s sonic idioms.

Myron- Get Down (Groove Chroicles Remix)

This one covers a lot of the flavors found in the hardcore continuum that aren’t covered in my other two picks; 2step’s sexy swing, ambiance (in the lineage of Spiritual Aura, Bukem, etc.), RnB samples, pop potential. The inclusion of a low pitched sine wave is great too (it's mildly reminiscent of bleep tracks like Pressure Dub).

Numbers

1) Metalheadz - Kemistry
Self-evident, really.

2) Altern8 - Infiltrate202 (Joey Beltram Remix)
I was doubting between this one and KMA's Fear (or Beltram's Dominator remix). Beltram won, mainly because he breaks the monotony of UK-only artists here.

3) Coki - B
Yes, I did.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

LENNIE DE ICE - WE ARE I.E.

Cos its hardcore but its also jungle. Its got the ravey synths but also the ragga/reggae samples and gunshot samples. The bleeps. The massive bassline.

BIZZY - BIZZY'S PARTY (BOOKER T VOCAL LICK)

Cos its garage, it's obviously got the NY house/R&B influence but also the ragga vocal and the 'pretty girls' courting hook.

SOME BLOKE CALLED WILLIAM - WOT U CALL IT?

Obvious selection really cos its grime, its representing the MC (although actually I'd like a track which represented the mic passing of rave/grime, something like XTRA or OI or even DESTRUCTION VIP or something), it's all about genres, it's about asserting control over your own sound/style, and it bangs forevermore.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'As much of what you like about...' missed this bit! I guess those tracks probably do the job anyway.