One day your browsing history will be public

sufi

lala
Probably was intended to be quite a lightweight article, but contains some unusually prescient nuggets
"One of these days, a clever hacker – or someone at Facebook – will figure out a way to release our browsing histories"
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/13/social-media-am-i-stalking-my-ex

So we knew that facebook uses it's buttons to track you, whether you are logged in or not. Mass personal data collection is encouraged by the state, so this must all leak at some point in future surely?
Time to embrace the badger?

Also, if you are not openly broadcasting your life across the web, where does that leave you? perhaps unable to travel, if you're required to show your social accounts at borders, perhaps some sort of a non-person if there's no social proof that you exist? Should i be on instagram?

Leo

my 63 year old sister has never had a computer or cellphone, and has no interest in social media. she will no doubt be looked upon with a high degree of suspicion.

sufi

lala
Perhaps there's a business opportunity to create online profiles that demonstrate acceptable lifestyles for non-participants or other degenerates

droid

Perhaps there's a business opportunity to create online profiles that demonstrate acceptable lifestyles for non-participants or other degenerates

I was locked out of facebook recently and its given me the impetus to shut it down completely. Their evil has gotten way out of hand.

I think the only way to engage with online tech companies is through shell identities. Fake name and address, fake GPS from decoy phones, fake photos, fake search history - all designed to connect your real interaction to a completely false substitute identity.

Theres a startup idea right there!

sufi

lala
maybe we are all bots

I just created a fresh FB account and the first person it recommended is someone i know