Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

Leo

haven't seen this covered in mainstream tech media so it could be rumor/conspiracy theory/fake news but either way, we're probably (eventually) fucked!

Facebook Shuts Down AI System After Bots Create Language Humans Can't Understand

"Days after Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg's understanding of artificial intelligence (AI) was limited, the social media company has reportedly shut down one of its AI systems because "things got out of hand." The AI bots created their own language, from scratch and without human input, forcing Facebook to shut down the AI system. The AI bots' step of creating and communicating with the new language defied the provided codes."
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/social-netw...system-after-bots-create-own-language-1731309

Last edited:

Leo

I really want to see a transcript now. If it was at all meaningful it would be something that could be decoded easily enough.

BALLS!

according to daily dot (https://www.dailydot.com/debug/facebook-ai-invent-language/), here's a passage:

Bob: i can i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to
Bob: you i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
Bob: i i can i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
Bob: i . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Bob: you i i i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: balls have 0 to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to
Bob: you i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I asked a highly-placed source whether this is "really all it's being made out to be", and he said:

Ehhhhhhhhh..... no.

It's a pretty hyped article. The problem with things like "deep" learning neural networks is they get so complicated journalists have no real clue what they're writing about so they select the parts they can buzzfeed-up into a bait-able headline.

While it's certainly possible that these servers "created" a new language to communicate "more efficiently" than in English they would have been doing it within a fairly structured framework of the learning model. They didn't spontaneously develop the sense to perform these tasks on their own. The model would have been something like, here's every word in english and how they fit together in sentences, here is some information, convey this information to a remote zero-knowledge third party as efficiently as possible. This is still a remarkable breakthrough which would have been impossible just a couple of years ago. The lexical map of English in computer-processable form is terabytes in size which must fit into RAM to be effectively processed.

As these new machine learning techniques evolve they do rapidly move out of human understanding. However, that just means that instead of a rigid training model humans have built to put data into the machines can use other machine learning techniques to build their own training models. While these are out of the scope of human understanding in terms of complexity it's not a new emergent information structure that we can't explain. Think of something like all the stars in the galaxy, we know what a star is and mostly what their trajectories and velocities are, but humans are incapable of comprehending this on a galactic scale, a single human could probably calculate or store the information for some hundreds or thousands of stars in a lifetime where as a model built by a computer under the instructions of "learn everything about stars" and provided enough input data could create a much more effective neural network learning model to predict star behaviour than people could. That's "beyond" human understanding, but the core concept is not something that humans don't understand.

If you want to go properly skynet, the next generation of Intel chips are so complex they are being designed by neural networks. Machines are designing the brains of the next machines which contain complex structures beyond human capabilities to design.

Unless there's some seriously under-wraps government projects somewhere to the best of my knowledge we (as in humans) aren't anywhere close to a true AI or even understanding what is required to construct a true AI as that rapidly vanishes off into the what is a soul discussion and isn't very scientific.

These deep learning neural networks are scary for different reasons, for example automatically controlling swarms of drones that have real time facial recognition in them. Combining drone swarms with orders to find or execute lists of people en-masse is within our technical grasp now with the operator only required to press a big red "launch" button and dictating an operational area. Basically we can build manhacks now that are AI-controlled, but not HAL9000.

Which kind of backs up my hunch about this phenomenon; that it's incredible, but is a result of bots taking advantage of an implicit capability built into them by their authors. They may have done something unexpected, but they didn't spontaneously develop the capability to do it.

Last edited:

Leo

thanks, tea...i kind of suspected something like that might be the case, since i haven't seen this story in more mainstream tech media.

FAKE NEWS! SAD! No WH chaos!

vimothy

yurp
At the end of the day, DL is just statistics (on fast computers). It's not going to produce (artificial general) intelligence in the sense most people intuitively understand it.

muser

I found this more sinister, the audio version of the deep dream. https://deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/ Especially the free generation of speech and music.

I think there's allot of accidental discoveries to be made with this kind of technology. Haven't really read into it but I'm sure the recursive affects of deep dream shows something about what is going on in the visual cortex when you are on psychedelics.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Good to see Icke knows that how Chelsea are doing is merely a distraction from the more important question, which is how are (((Tottenham))) are doing?

Last edited:

luka

Tea, change Arsenal to Tottenham before anyone sees and once you've done it i'll delete this message.

luka

"Tyree described how PROMIS progeny, having inspired four new computer languages, had made possible the positioning of satellites so far out in space that they were untouchable. At the same time the progeny had improved video quality of the point where the same satellite could focus on a single human hair. The ultimate big picture.

PROMIS progeny had also evolved to the point where neural pads could be attached to plugs in the back of the human head and thought could be translated into electrical impulses that would be equally capable of flying a plane or wire transferring money. Names like Sandia, Cal-Tech, Micron, Tech University of Graz, Oded Leventer, and Massimo Grimaldi rolled from his lips as he tore through the pages of notes. Data, such as satellite reconnaissance, could now be downloaded from a satellite directly into a human brain. The evolution of the artificial intelligence had progressed to a point where animal behaviour and thought were being decoded. Mechanical humans were being tested. Animals were being controlled by computer."

sus

For reference, and I can explain why if people are curious—this is far more shocking / a leap forward than GPT-3. This is some crazy shit that barely makes sense with how we currently understand state-of-the-art language processing. It's almost unbelievable, you have to wonder how much the dataset is cherry-picked, and even still.

luka

Seems pretty boring compared to "mechanical humans are being tested" if I'm totally honest

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I was obsessed with that text to image thing two years ago. The site I used is one I can't find anymore.

But if you typed in words like "Human" "man" "woman" "person" etc, you would get these cronenbergy flesh aggregates with lineaments and clusters that vaguely resembled facial features.