Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being 'into politics '

Yeah, Internet "discourse" has gone downhill and rightly the causes have been identified. It's the combination of social media (which isn't social at all) and ubiquitous smartphone-usage. I admit I was spending a lot of time in the 2000s in the comment sections/forums of several newspapers and news sites. You had more meaningful conversations due to the circumstances me thinks. You'd write your commentaries sitting at your desk using a PC or Laptop with specially confined time dedicated to writing comments.

Social media is all well for spamming your products or gigs and such, but definitely not suitable for deeper conversations/exchange of ideas. Yeah, post a meme instead. People feel the need to reply as soon as they are "alerted" bc they are logged on 24/7 on their smartphones. Those "conversations" are to a great extent "Trolling by default".

Unfortunatley, the situation won't change much in the foreseeable future since the more considerate people leave crappy FB or twitter, leaving the rather unpleasent peeps in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    I had my first ugly Facebook spat in ages over the weekend, which is...a coincidence?

I spent far too much time in 2016 arguing online, so I mainly reserve it for Dissensus these days. Some issues are worth arguing about in small doses, but social media is largely a cesspit of personal mudslinging, and agreed that it dilutes one's energy for actually doing good in the real world.

Smartphones are evil and I try to combat them by having a really shit one that I can use for maps and checking the football scores (a slightly superior pursuit to arguing on Facebook, as you say)
    It was that very spat which prompted this thread.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Yeah, Internet "discourse" has gone downhill and rightly the causes have been identified. It's the combination of social media (which isn't social at all) and ubiquitous smartphone-usage. I admit I was spending a lot of time in the 2000s in the comment sections/forums of several newspapers and news sites. You had more meaningful conversations due to the circumstances me thinks. You'd write your commentaries sitting at your desk using a PC or Laptop with specially confined time dedicated to writing comments.

Social media is all well for spamming your products or gigs and such, but definitely not suitable for deeper conversations/exchange of ideas. Yeah, post a meme instead. People feel the need to reply as soon as they are "alerted" bc they are logged on 24/7 on their smartphones. Those "conversations" are to a great extent "Trolling by default".

Unfortunatley, the situation won't change much in the foreseeable future since the more considerate people leave crappy FB or twitter, leaving the rather unpleasent peeps in the ring.
    All very true - I've always had better interaction on message boards, due to the circumstances you mention. Most message boards date from a few years before social media's ubiquity. We can all be sure that Matt is selling our data onto Coca-Cola AS FAR AS WE KNOW.

Organised, state-sponsored trolling is definitely a thing though, which is another contaminating factor. Must be quite a low cost way to attempt to shape discourse. Not suggesting Baboon's spat was caused by Putin's agents - seems more likely it's the disembodied nature of social media - but I do think it's a real shaping force

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It was that very spat which prompted this thread.
    nice for it to be noticed. There were a few different arguments happening in that thread, but in the 4/5 message exchange I was involved in there was a clear difference of opinion that I think is pretty important.

I've had some pointless arguments on Fb to be sure, but I don't think arguing about whether rightwingers who affiliate/march with Nazis can be 'debated', or should rather just be fought/resisted, comes under that category...

it's a bit odd cos it's the first time I've had an argument on Fb in ages, precisely because I thought in that case it was actually worth saying something. That may have been a mistake, because the person I chose to talk to (who I've never met) was just interested in upholding an insane opinion at all costs. Not sure about his relationship to Putin though.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 21-08-2017 at 11:11 PM.

[QUOTE=baboon2004;339641 Not sure about his relationship to Putin though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if that sounded like a weird comment - I meant this kinda thing: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-troll-house I don't think this is what Luke is talking about in his opening post, but you do notice this sort of this kind of thing if you start reading or arguing in bigger, less interpersonal forums. Websites or or public bloggers advancing a line that is disliked by whoever is paying these goons will be systematically targeted.
    Last edited by DannyL; 22-08-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Facebook is a pox. Get off it now.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Facebook is a pox. Get off it now.
    But, but... the validation!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    But, but... the validation!
    It's all about the LIKES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    It's all about the LIKES!!!
    1 Like = 1 Prayer, remember. Don't you *want* to heal the world, or something?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Sorry if that sounded like a weird comment - I meant this kinda thing: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-troll-house I don't think this is what Luke is talking about in his opening post, but you do notice this sort of this kind of thing if you start reading or arguing in bigger, less interpersonal forums. Websites or or public bloggers advancing a line that is disliked by whoever is paying these goons will be systematically targeted.
    No, not weird at all - I can well believe all of that..what might once have looked like a conspiracy theory is now simply news. I'm just amused thinking of my Fb interlocutor (who you might know cos you have friends in common) as a state-sponsored troll.

Also amused that Facebook sparring is being dismissed by people responsible for about 83% of Dissensus flame wars in the post-Zhao era. (who incidentally still makes everyone else look like amateurs in his ability to start a social media war within seconds. It's quite remarkable)
    Last edited by baboon2004; 22-08-2017 at 08:11 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

No way, Padraig was The King of Dissensus flame wars. He could cause carnage with one post, and escalate to thermonuclear with one more.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

true