Being 'into politics '

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sorry if that sounded like a weird comment - I meant this kinda thing: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/02/putin-kremlin-inside-russian-troll-house I don't think this is what Luke is talking about in his opening post, but you do notice this sort of this kind of thing if you start reading or arguing in bigger, less interpersonal forums. Websites or or public bloggers advancing a line that is disliked by whoever is paying these goons will be systematically targeted.

No, not weird at all - I can well believe all of that..what might once have looked like a conspiracy theory is now simply news. I'm just amused thinking of my Fb interlocutor (who you might know cos you have friends in common) as a state-sponsored troll.

Also amused that Facebook sparring is being dismissed by people responsible for about 83% of Dissensus flame wars in the post-Zhao era. (who incidentally still makes everyone else look like amateurs in his ability to start a social media war within seconds. It's quite remarkable)

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
No way, Padraig was The King of Dissensus flame wars. He could cause carnage with one post, and escalate to thermonuclear with one more.

luka

I saw the guardian saying Milliband made an amazing speech and humiliated the prime minister so I go on YouTube and look it up and it's some weird nerd with a nervous stutter, stumbling over his words and being a disgusting dork.

Thank god this freak never led the country.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I saw the guardian saying Milliband made an amazing speech and humiliated the prime minister so I go on YouTube and look it up and it's some weird nerd with a nervous stutter, stumbling over his words and being a disgusting dork.

Thank god this freak never led the country.
Yeah, not like the good old days when Corbyn really made the government sweat by reading out a letter from Edith in Cleethorpes about her bins.

Thankfully we avoided chaos with Ed Miliband.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
There's a huge set of young people who came out of the student protests and UK Uncut and into Momentum etc who have now been completely absorbed by the parliamentary machine and wang on all day on twitter about internal labour party debates. Very much in the "turn your hobby into a career" mould. Maybe it always happened but probably not on this scale?

Let's hear from Matilda who has interesting things to say about the Red Wall.

john eden

male pale and stale
Also, with the Miliband thing people get super excited but it makes absolutely no difference to what is going to happen. What might make a difference is that law and order Tories revolt maybe.

Same with Private Eye (mainly) and Marina Hyde "artfully skewering those idiots in Westminster" - it's just smug. Making sure you laugh at the latest bit of the political soap opera, oh it is all so terrible and how can they possibly get away with it (same as last week).

craner

Beast of Burden
I had the same reaction. Ed was so proud of himself that he actually retweeted a clip of his Greatest Hit from yesterday, which was then retweeted or liked by somebody I follow, so I watched it. Is that what the fuss was about?

craner

Beast of Burden
There's something about Marina Hyde that fucks me off, but not as much as all the people who retweet her column every week, with something like, "her best one yet!"