smartphone gawpers

sufi

lala
I've often thought that I would go for a minimalist phone with the only apps being maps and camera (and camera is negotiable). Anything else can wait til later.
my main beef is android, which seems hard to avoid, though nokia apparently have an OS for their cheap smartphone that may be less intrusive, i wish

Civilisation would stand a chance if the Internet, in its entirety, was powered down every now and then. Sundays or perhaps even as infrequently as Bank Holidays would suffice. Anywhere doing that would have to invest in the resilience of its utilities, retail, emergency services which would pay dividends in the event of cyber warfare and would become peopled with a happier, less mentally-disturbed population in a very short time.

Mark my words: Switzerland will give Internet Offdays a whirl within the next five years.

droid

Civilisation would stand a chance if the Internet, in its entirety, was powered down every now and then. Sundays or perhaps even as infrequently as Bank Holidays would suffice. Anywhere doing that would have to invest in the resilience of its utilities, retail, emergency services which would pay dividends in the event of cyber warfare and would become peopled with a happier, less mentally-disturbed population in a very short time.

Mark my words: Switzerland will give Internet Offdays a whirl within the next five years.

Still banging the 'ban the internet' drum?

luka

i went a couple of weeks without the phone this summer just cos i smashed it and couldnt be bothered going carphone warehouse to replace it. it was fine. didnt seem like a big deal although when i have one i look at it constantly.

having off days is something i keep meaning to implement and never do.

DannyL

Wild Horses
A few (not a lot by any means) of my students gave their phones to their parents when they sat their GCSEs, which I was quite impressed by.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Not seeing an email for six hours and the related consequences have just totally pissed my partner off so maybe you guys are onto something.

luka

Not seeing an email for six hours and the related consequences have just totally pissed my partner off so maybe you guys are onto something.

it's just not something you can ignore is it? it's like not wearing deoderant or something.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i went a couple of weeks without the phone this summer just cos i smashed it and couldnt be bothered going carphone warehouse to replace it. it was fine. didnt seem like a big deal although when i have one i look at it constantly.

having off days is something i keep meaning to implement and never do.

Same here. When I'm without a smartphone I just end up forcing myself to take a book wherever I go as I get bored easily while waiting for appointments or getting served or whatever. Actually I find it really makes me appreciate the pleasures of reading printed text, and not an ever-updating screen, while having a quiet pint.

Leo

Actually I find it really makes me appreciate the pleasures of reading printed text, and not an ever-updating screen, while having a quiet pint.

i still subscribe to a lot of magazines (don't ask) and find i probably do about half my reading of them when out to lunch on my own or waiting in a pub for friends to arrive (i am habitually early).

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

Very interesting !

it is. but it is also quite convenient.
they made $$$$ from creating the applications that led to addictions (and dont kid yourself that they innocently had no clue about the apps being addicting).
now they are going to rake it in by telling us how to help cure ourselves of these addictions.
after all, who better an authority than those who made the technology, now with a money making conscience?

as much as i enjoyed the experience of temporarily not having my iPhone, i think there are lots of practical reasons why they are a good thing. when you're out and don't know the address of a restaurant, you can do a quick search to get the address, find the closest subway stop (and then check to see if there are train delays on that line) or most direct walking route, see the restaurant menu and hours of operation, etc. that's all a good thing, right? the problem is when people get obsessed with them. everything in moderation.

nothing wrong with an old fashioned pocket AtoZ.
train delays will always happen whether you are told of them in advance or not.
life is meant to be left up to chance.

Last edited:

Leo

nothing wrong with an old fashioned pocket AtoZ.
train delays will always happen whether you are told of them in advance or not.
life is meant to be left up to chance.

nothing wrong with phone books and encyclopedias either, but i'd prefer not to have to carry them around for reference. ;)

and why wouldn't you want to know that train line A is out before you've paid your fair, when you would still have the opportunity to take train line B as an alternate means?

i get your point but from a practical purposes perspective, there are indisputable benefits to a smartphone. i still love happenstance and stumbling upon things, one does not preclude the other.

sufi

lala
suspiciously social media friendly soundbite from this long article
The population of America farts about 3m times a minute. It likes things on Facebook about 4m times a minute.
https://www.economist.com/news/brie...d-once-considered-boon-democracy-social-media
20171104_FBD002.jpg

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's far too addictive, particularly Twitter (and social media in general). Must have spent six or seven hours on it today. Waste of time.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
At least Whatsapp you're chatting with your mates.

I need to cut out these apps where I'm just getting annoyed with people I don't even know all day.