Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: smartphone gawpers

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    If it wasn't for message services like imessage or whatsapp I'd do it the same thing right away, it's just that I have quite some foreign contacts that I have regular contact with. Texting them over SMS would cost me a lot more. I wish they'd made a really simple telephone that would just allow you to use those services. I don't need anything else really.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see simple phones becoming a trend at some point. There's this for instance: https://www.thelightphone.com/
    though don't think its quite taken off.

I was horrified to read an interview with David Cameon's top office wanker, Steve Hilton where he was humblebragging about not having a smart phone. Nothing has ever made me want to buy one back more.

as much as i enjoyed the experience of temporarily not having my iPhone, i think there are lots of practical reasons why they are a good thing. when you're out and don't know the address of a restaurant, you can do a quick search to get the address, find the closest subway stop (and then check to see if there are train delays on that line) or most direct walking route, see the restaurant menu and hours of operation, etc. that's all a good thing, right? the problem is when people get obsessed with them. everything in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    as much as i enjoyed the experience of temporarily not having my iPhone, i think there are lots of practical reasons why they are a good thing. when you're out and don't know the address of a restaurant, you can do a quick search to get the address, find the closest subway stop (and then check to see if there are train delays on that line) or most direct walking route, see the restaurant menu and hours of operation, etc. that's all a good thing, right? the problem is when people get obsessed with them. everything in moderation.
    Thing is even I have a smartphone. I need a mobile phone jobwise and my network provider gives me one for free so why not take it - and I use fairly a lot of its functions, though moderately - except listening to music or watch videos on it. What I don't get and never will are those people who outsource their damn life to those things (and thus to the companies that run the software on em and the network providers) - or those who let themselves being enslaved by them.
    Last edited by firefinga; 30-08-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see simple phones becoming a trend at some point. There's this for instance: https://www.thelightphone.com/
    though don't think its quite taken off.
    I've often thought that I would go for a minimalist phone with the only apps being maps and camera (and camera is negotiable). Anything else can wait til later.

One insidious thing I notice is how people (obvs including me) use their phone as a crutch when they're alone in a public place - waiting for someone, waiting for a bus, waiting for friend to come back from the bathroom etc etc. I'm trying to train myself away from doing that, but it's not easy....

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    My most used apps are the flashlight and the local busstop timetable webpage
    If it was a really smart f'ing phone it would also include actually useful functions like a fag lighter and a tv remote control
    skymap is the best of all

I don't think these practical applications are what are zombifying the public though - that's social media and the web in yr pocket

my favey thought experiment (when my data allowance is exhausted) is to track my brain signals down my arm when I'm reaching for wikipedia to supplement my own puny flesh brain, or google maps, or the web, to see where the disconnect occurs down the fresh neural tracks that my bonce uses to connect to the internet, the muscle memory has almost got the phone out of my pocket before the i realise that there's no conexion

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    I've often thought that I would go for a minimalist phone with the only apps being maps and camera (and camera is negotiable). Anything else can wait til later.
    my main beef is android, which seems hard to avoid, though nokia apparently have an OS for their cheap smartphone that may be less intrusive, i wish

Civilisation would stand a chance if the Internet, in its entirety, was powered down every now and then. Sundays or perhaps even as infrequently as Bank Holidays would suffice. Anywhere doing that would have to invest in the resilience of its utilities, retail, emergency services which would pay dividends in the event of cyber warfare and would become peopled with a happier, less mentally-disturbed population in a very short time.

Mark my words: Switzerland will give Internet Offdays a whirl within the next five years.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    Civilisation would stand a chance if the Internet, in its entirety, was powered down every now and then. Sundays or perhaps even as infrequently as Bank Holidays would suffice. Anywhere doing that would have to invest in the resilience of its utilities, retail, emergency services which would pay dividends in the event of cyber warfare and would become peopled with a happier, less mentally-disturbed population in a very short time.

Mark my words: Switzerland will give Internet Offdays a whirl within the next five years.
    Still banging the 'ban the internet' drum?

i went a couple of weeks without the phone this summer just cos i smashed it and couldnt be bothered going carphone warehouse to replace it. it was fine. didnt seem like a big deal although when i have one i look at it constantly.

having off days is something i keep meaning to implement and never do.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Still banging the 'ban the internet' drum?
    Yes. Just a tapping a lone cymbal for now, but soon to become an enormous peal of Luddite thunder.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

I could certainly live without my mobile. I could not without my swiss pocket-knife.

A few (not a lot by any means) of my students gave their phones to their parents when they sat their GCSEs, which I was quite impressed by.

Not seeing an email for six hours and the related consequences have just totally pissed my partner off so maybe you guys are onto something.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Not seeing an email for six hours and the related consequences have just totally pissed my partner off so maybe you guys are onto something.
    it's just not something you can ignore is it? it's like not wearing deoderant or something.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i went a couple of weeks without the phone this summer just cos i smashed it and couldnt be bothered going carphone warehouse to replace it. it was fine. didnt seem like a big deal although when i have one i look at it constantly.

having off days is something i keep meaning to implement and never do.
    Same here. When I'm without a smartphone I just end up forcing myself to take a book wherever I go as I get bored easily while waiting for appointments or getting served or whatever. Actually I find it really makes me appreciate the pleasures of reading printed text, and not an ever-updating screen, while having a quiet pint.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you