Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: smartphone gawpers

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    still havent replaced mine. still addicted to mindless internet browsing but now i can only do it when im at home which is a big improvement.
    do you have any sense of missing out on anything? like impromptu meet ups or changes of plan, since people can't reach you while out?

that's one of the best things about it. particularly as i gave up drinking at the same time.

in this country impromptu meet up can only mean making a cunt of yourself drinking. better off out of it.

People don't have impromptu meetups anymore because they've been talking to each other all day via social media.

what about workplace boredom luka?

sneaking five minutes on whatsapp on the bog is sometimes the only thing that sustains me

i love my job and i only do it for 4 hours a day now it's winter.

A smartphone without Social Media is a quite helpful tool. In fact, I think social media has become THE plague of the 2010s.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    A smartphone without Social Media is a quite helpful tool. In fact, I think social media has become THE plague of the 2010s.
    can you actually get a smartphone that has useful online apps like maps and train/bus timetables but is otherwise offline (I appreciate this may be a ludicrous proposition)? i know less than zero about phones, but this would be my ideal set-up

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    can you actually get a smartphone that has useful online apps like maps and train/bus timetables but is otherwise offline (I appreciate this may be a ludicrous proposition)? i know less than zero about phones, but this would be my ideal set-up
    This wouldn't be too hard to arrange - just delete all your non-essential apps. (The downside of this is that you'll be fully conscious of what a high rate you're - possibly - paying for a map and train timetables.)

I've had the same thought re: Spotify. I'd like an MP3 player that I could connect to WiFi and run Spotify on, including downloading stuff for offline use. I don't think this exists, though.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Usually those services are also available via good ole browser windows, so you don't need a specific app for it just use the inbult browser of your smartphone, however you'd need a connection to the web for it which means naturally you're not offline.

Possibly you could also get time tables/maps which are downloadable to your phone and could be automaitcally upgraded whenever you're connecting to a wi if or go 3G/4G. The crux with maps on phones however is, they often automatically demand you send your GPS position.

thanks for the tips, guys. I'm (by design, cos I hate them) absolutely clueless when it comes to phones

You can also get apps for your phone which restrict the time you can spend on other apps.

Not as effective as not owning a phone, obviously (far too easy to disable), but they can help limit usage if you don't almost immediately delete them as I do.

not to be a contrarian, but i've got by without a mobile since 2011

reading stats about however many times a day someone touches their phone you'd think it was a new form of brain infused genitalia, which they kinda are if you think about it stoned & add Louis CK