The Western Canon (or) Monoculture

craner

Beast of Burden
Should it exist? Is it right? What does it mean? If it is junked, what does that mean for aesthetic and moral values? Does civilisation fall? Should it? Does it exist? Etc.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND

firefinga

The West is intellectually and culturally exhausted anyways. And the Spenglerian fanboy that I am I might add, what will follow this concept of "The West" will most certainly be worse that what we still have today.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The West is intellectually and culturally exhausted anyways. And the Spenglerian fanboy that I am I might add, what will follow this concept of "The West" will most certainly be worse that what we still have today.

I've got a copy of Untergang on order, looking forward to digging into it.

entertainment

I think that what you have in the indie music fan stratum is a very tactile, explicit, cynical canon and a quite diminished desire to explore what's going on around it. So much shit is coming out each week and here's a whole community that has sorted out for you what's worth spending your precious time on. Discriminating, applying numerical values signifying non-negotiable merit. There isn't time to listen and make up your own mind. Just pick the best out of each thing. And everybody wants to feel like they're in. They wanna get the references and laugh at the memes.

luka

What Craner was talking about was the Greeks the Romans the Bible Shakespeare Goethe Tolstoy.

luka

A few years back he set himself the task of reading the whole thing. The Harold Bloom sponsored canon all the way through. He wanted as he put it "to deserve the wealth I have inherited as a European and a westerner and to indicate my gratitude for it" So far he is up to Virgil.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Reading a biography of Wittgenstein atm and I imagine Luka and craner's friendship is in some respects like Wittgenstein and Bertrand Russell's.