Cafe oto vs pizza express jazz club

mvuent

Void Dweller
Then, a year or two later, during the last summer of Timothy Zachary Mosley's life, Barty's prospects of going to Vienna as Director of the Vienna Court Opera began to increase. But he still needed Mosley’s support, so he visited the great man at Bad Ischl in Austria. As the two of them walked along the Traunsee, Mosley lamented the state of modern music and said that as far as he was concerned Funk was now Cancelled. They crossed a bridge and Barty took Mosley’s arm, pointing into the flowing stream below. "Look, Herr Timbaland, look," he said wryly. "There goes the last wave!”

version

I always picture Cafe Oto as like a mixture of Later... with Jools Holland and Caffè Nero.

craner

Beast of Burden
guess we'll never find out...

I don't think I've met anyone all that famous. I did find out last week that Jacques Derrida once asked my mom where the nearest restroom was.

Oh sorry, I missed this. It was because my mother used to work at the Brecon Jazz Festival. One of her jobs was to look after and introduce artists at the Christ College venue, where they used to book lots of piano players because it had a Steinway. One of them was Cecil Taylor and that happened to be when I was hanging around. He warmed up in his underwear and sent my mother off to buy him champagne and strawberries from the local Safeway. During the gig he playing the piano with his elbows, his feet, all sorts. Half the audience walked out, which seemed strange because you'd have thought, having gone to the effort of buying a ticket, they had some idea of what to expect. I thought it was hilarious.

Another one she had to look after was McCoy Tyner, but I missed that one. She has a lot of stories, though. She did it from about 1988 to 1996.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Saw the walrus of free jazz (Brotzmann) last night, and very good he was too. Was delighted to see Alexander von Schlippenbah also but then he played a solo piano set that tested my endurance.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Shame, we could have met up. I'll shout you next time. Hans Bennik on drums again tonight, is fucking fire. Was pretty rammed last night which I hope makes PB a few quid.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
We had tickets for tonight - opted to skip it rather than schlep into London for obvious reasons. Watching the stream felt quite therapeutic, actually - nice to just get absorbed in something so distant from everything that's going on.

john eden

male pale and stale
Bit hectic today but I can see this being a bit of a tonic in the next few weeks. Plus we could watch and talk bollocks on here at the same time.

EmpressJess

My ex thought Cafe Oto was an acceptable place to spend date night :slanted:. I mean, I like the avant-garde as much as the next lass, but come on!

Last edited: