Dear Woebot

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's not as interesting to me, because I've heard them all lol

But anyone else's obviously is.

luka

It would be difficult for me because my listening has changed a bit over the last few years. I think nostalgia can be pernicious so I mostly steer clear of my 'favourite' records now.

It's partly a reaction to my peers replaying the same 100 records on an eternal loop unable to assimilate any new experience. It's a middle age thing. Quite gross.

Leo

luka makes a valid point. maybe i'm overthinking it but i also have no sense of how one would distinguish the difference between, say, fav album #37 and #38. and is album #25 supposed to be twice as good as album #50? plus, so many great, important musical milestones aren't albums.

luka

But it's also a product of contemporary abundance vs the scarcity of teenage years when taste gets fixed.

The difference between a small cassette collection/the ritualised repetition of radio and today's bottomless wells of online sound.

sadmanbarty

It would be difficult for me because my listening has changed a bit over the last few years. I think nostalgia can be pernicious so I mostly steer clear of my 'favourite' records now.

how about you post a list of albums you steer clear of then.

sadmanbarty

luka makes a valid point. maybe i'm overthinking it but i also have no sense of how one would distinguish the difference between, say, fav album #37 and #38. and is album #25 supposed to be twice as good as album #50? plus, so many great, important musical milestones aren't albums.

they don't have to be in order sweetness

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I think there's a tendency to take these lists too seriously - #25 doesn't have to be twice as good as #50, e.g. Realistically, nobody's list of records would be the same from day to day, or even hour to hour. I know some people are against lists almost philosophically, but I just consider them a handy way of sharing good things (or bad things).

I love Woebot's list because most of it is totally not in my wheelhouse so I've not heard any of the records. (And the records are all really good, or at least interesting, which helps.) Also you get to read his (pithy) opinions on all of the records, which is something I'd love to see from luka, obvs, cos I'm his biggest stan.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
(bringing the word 'stan' into things I realise that this thread title could be from woebot's very own stan)

MY TEA'S GONE COLD I'M WONDERING WHY

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Derek Walmsley (The Wire) wrote

Woebot's 100 Greatest Records Ever, is wonderfully playful despite (or because of?) its pompous title. His list makes a mockery of the idea that the album is king, with white label 12"s from Ruff Sqwad, and places Joni Mitchell and Pere Ubu next to Acen and David Lewiston as the true geniuses of modern music. Woebot's list is rough and opinionated, making you alternately snort with derision and wonder where the hell he found such riches.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Started playing around with doing a list of my own but I think I'd have to do something like top 100 songs ever cos I actually don't listen to many albums these days, let alone buy records.

And I'm 32, so far from peak millennial.

Also my choices would be quite boring - Illmatic, Blue, etc.