happy hardcore

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Dunno then. You could try trawling through the Bonkers tracklistings on Discogs? It's entirely possible that part of that lyric makes up the tune's tittle.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Backjob said:
Reminds me, on one of the Bonkers cds, it opens with this unbelievably sweet song with a female vocal about some guy who's died or gone away or something but she still remembers him "being without you is like a dying pain, I'm here looking up, searching for you in the rain" something like that. Jaw-droppingly emotional, brings a tear to my eye every time, but I don't have a clue who it's by or what its called. Anybody know?
I believe you are talking about Adam Harris - Heavens Above. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a sound sample or any reference to a 12" release. Certainly not listed in discogs.

Backjob

Hurrah! That's definitely it...

How about a list of happy hardcore tearjerkers?

1. Justin Time - "Sweet in pocket"
2. Adam Harris - "Heavens above"
3. Q Tex - "Power of love"

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

hint

party record with a siren
six days on the run
tryin' to find a place to have some fun
night and day without your sweet embrace
I'm goin' crazy

*wells up* ;)

Woebot

taped an absolutely slamming set of this stuff on the radio the other day, prbably ought to put in on an cd/mp3. at that point at which it splintered from jungle (c.Blackness 1994) it suddenly becomes "uncollectable" (obviously being self critical here) i suppose it suffers from abandoning the more chunky rock-solid rydims of jungle, sort of feel it can skitter all over the place, also the hysterical whiter-than-white surrey divas (Surrey Diva! May have to trademark that!) can be off-putting.....

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
The king of happy hardcore tunes was, quite blatantly, 'Shooting Star'. I remember going to a Slammin' Vinyl at Bagleys when I was 17 and hearing it five times and dancing like an epileptic chimp every time it came on. That was, of course, when I was still playing football at school and could actually dance to 180 bpm hardcore all night (my fat ass screams "no more!" after about ten minutes these days).

ambrose

re: the northern soul link, well i think that strand has been maintained with bassline (see my thread a while back)....the club Wigan Pier seems to put on bassline nights...theres a bunch of bassline comps called "wigan pier", seems liek theyre playing a mixture of tracne and bouncy house to bassline stuff....

Backjob

Shooting star was great, but I've got to pick "Airhead" or "Toytown" as the genre-defining moments.

Airhead!

Benny Bunter

In the North East I think the big hardcore sound if Makina, which is Spanish stuff. Kazoocore. Dire.

Well, I've never heard of Makina, but it seems all the charvers in the North-East listen to New Monkey (on their mobile phones invariably).

I can't tell the difference between New Monkey and Happy Hardcore myself. Its been named after this over 16s, no alcohol nightclub in Sunderland. I live in Newcastle and I hear it everywhere I go. :mad:

Here's a New Monkey mix, posted on Bebo of course...Funny hearing the MC going on about necking 'Cowies'!!!

I've been going up and down the M1 recently listening to CDs 1 (old skool) & 3 (happy hardcore) off this compilation.

41uwhdI31AL._AA240_.jpg

The hardcore is just pure enjoyment. Best time I ever had at the big raves was in the hardcore tent at Tribal Gathering.

I find CD 2, Drum'n'bass, just really leaden and dated in comparison.

Sinko

Well, I've never heard of Makina, but it seems all the charvers in the North-East listen to New Monkey (on their mobile phones invariably).

Yeah, Makina's the bouncy Spanish techno they mostly DJ/MC over.

It's all pretty awful like.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
Back in my early teens it was metal and grunge all the way for me. This "car alarm shit" was my idea of the beginning and end of dance music. Of course I opened my ears to a lot more as the years went by but I can't help but associate HH with Max Power-reading...I'm not gonna say "chavs" but for want of a better word...

Obviously the lads who blasted HH from their suped-up Novas never went to those raves.

ether

apparently happy hardcore is still very big in certain parts of Scotland and Leicester too. seems to be massively popular in little pockets of the u.k. for some strange reason.

it was something i could never stomach, even when a randal set happened to fall on one side of a dreamscape tape and say a dougall set on the other, always rife with cringeworthy chipmunk vocals that made me feel slightly seasick.

managed to amas a good collection of old break beat hardcore mp3's of a mate though been meaning to do a mix, theres some absolute gems that i was little to young to have caught at the time.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
He he I used to be in to hardcore in 96-98, went to the smaller raves up North like Diztruxshon a bit. That was really my intro in to clubbing so I have fond memories (and the quality of the sound system was far superior to pretty much anything else I've heard apart from Plastic People/Jah Shaka and DMZ at 3rd bass).

Was always more of a fan of the DJ Vibes side of thing...him and Live Lee on the mic were top...there is this amazing set from NYE 96 I think where they play all the classics...I remember the vocal of Force & Styles 'Funfair' ("Have you ever climed a mountain, and tried to touch the sky" etc) being a particular favourite off that tape.

Good times :)

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Still quite a lot of happy hardcore up here in Sheffield. There's a big 3000 person hardcore event coming up which I've been offered a free ticket for, because someone I know works for one of the labels being represented. I don't know if I've got the guts to go though, might have to get pretty drunk first.

Pestario

tell your friends
Australia's a bit behind in dance music so it's still got a huge following there. A lot of my early raver days were spent at happy hardcore raves (with hard trance and gabba in the other rooms) but only because there wasn't much else around. This was around 2003 btw haha.