my list.

luka

anyway this new emollient personna is making me nervous when you going back to smh?

luka

re. MCs and lack of discussion thereof:

The thing I've found over the years is that a surprising number of people who are otherwise totally down with the whole jungle / drum & bass program, it seems they don't actually like the MC element at all. They find MCs to be an annoyance.

You also get people who come up with a lot of interesting perceptions about and fantastic imagery evoking the music - Mark Fisher and Kodwo Eshun spring to mind - but who never once mention the MC side of things in their writings about jungle / 2step / etc.

Maybe because the MC element is just too insistently "actual human beings involved in this" - so it interferes with a way of responding to the music in terms of cinematic images running across your mindscreen of a dark dystopian cyber-future nature

which is definitely one truth of the music

just not the whole truth

yeah it ruins the neuromancer zion fantasies abit doesnt it

luka

1 King Tubby -- Zion Gate Dub 3:15 2 King Tubby & Augustus Pablo -- King Tubby's Borderline Dub 3:07 3 Lee Perry -- Venus 3:28 4 King Tubby -- Money Dub 3:00 5 Lee Perry -- Lee Perry Upsetting Dub 4:00 6 King Jammy -- Slow Motion Dub 3:12 7 King Jammy -- Black & White Dub 3:02 8 King Tubby -- The Battle Axe Dub 3:26 9 King Jammy -- Dub It In The Dancehall Dub 3:14 10 King Tubby -- Fittest Of The Fittest Dub 4:10 11 Scientist -- Rasta Dub It Everywhere 3:00 12 King Tubby -- Dark Destroyer Dub 3:00 13 King Jammy -- Jump Song Dub 2:41 14 Sly & Robbie -- Hypocrite Dub 3:41 15 Lee Perry -- Lee Perry Special Dub 3:39 16 King Tubby -- Rock With I Dub 3:56 17 King Tubby -- Fat Man Dub 3:26 18 Lee Perry -- Hold Of Death 3:03 19 King Tubby & Augustus Pablo -- King Tubby's Rock On Time Dub 3:24 20 Lee Perry -- Black Street 3:25 21 Sly & Robbie -- Burial Dub 4:22 22 Lee Perry -- Lee Perry Guiding Star Dub 3:30 23 King Tubby -- Dawn Dub 2:27

i picked this cheap music club compilation up cos i knew i was supposed to like dub. this would have been about 1996 maybe? or maybe later '98 even? i was too dumb to get dub though until i took the tape to amsterdam. came back to the hotel room. put this on the headphones.
drugs are vital for listening imo. there's no point, unless you're in a very emotionally volatile state, listening to music straight. its boring and pointless and you miss everything. i smoked so much weed in my life it stopped working but back in these days it was my best friend.

luka

anyway great budget label music club. had a few of their bits and always very well curated.

luka

very important in terms of saying 'you're a terrible listener. terrible at paying attention. you miss everything. snatch at things.' weed combined with this album. very important in making me realise how im not a music guy and i dont understand anything unless i make myself temporarily more intelligent with drugs. that's an ongoing theme in my musical history.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I definitely feel that way about weed, and I feel somehow guilty or inadequate because of this, but should I? Shouldn't I be able to appreciate the sensory arts (e.g. painting, sculpture, music) without narcotic enhancement?

Well, of course I DO. But it's just better when I'm stoned. This is more the case with visual art, though.

And arguably with dub/reggae it is actually necessary to be stoned to understand it.

In any case, returns us to Blake/Huxley and the 'doors of perception'.

luka

it's inherently fascinating but also frustrating. becasue you cant really be high every day. or you can but there are rapidly diminishing returns and you will end up depressed and lost.

Leo

begs the question: can weed or other drugs make lousy music sound interesting? they provide a gateway into higher levels of appreciation, make good music sound amazing, etc.. but can they make a listener fond of any old crap?

luka

begs the question: can weed or other drugs make lousy music sound interesting? they provide a gateway into higher levels of appreciation, make good music sound amazing, etc.. but can they make a listener fond of any old crap?

ime absolutely not. they magnify the banality of bad music.

luka

or even the horror of it. i remember my first experience on acid hearing vengaboys and it sounded like marching music for nazi youth

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
or even the horror of it. i remember my first experience on acid hearing vengaboys and it sounded like marching music for nazi youth

Some people though, it's so amazing, the experience, that they associate any music they hear with it, they associate that with what they're feeling. Could be anything. I know nuff people who are reasonable intelligent people but associate good music with their adolescence and jacking up speed and hearing The Fall.

See also Sleaford Mods.

PiLhead

ime absolutely not. they magnify the banality of bad music.

that's what i've always found

nothing like as much of a psychonaut as luka, but i do remember one time on acid listening to Slowdive followed by Hendrix

now I like Slowdive... pleasant as far as it goes

but Slowdive was all shades of pale pastel colours - a palette of pinky-greys... their limitations, timbrally, were synaesthetically exposed

and then Hendrix (i can't remember which - probably 'Third Stone from the Sun' or '1983 A Merman) was the veritable explosion of colours - like Peter Cook as the Devil describing God in Bedazzled, "many-hued". his vast superiority (not a revelation or surprise, of course) was brutally underlined

another instance of the same gulf was the acid-enhanced contrast of Ozric Tentacles and Can's Soon Over Babaluma (Ozrics not my idea i hasten to add, my friend had that tape!)

drugs just expose the shortcomings of musical things ... you just are truly profoundly bored

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think weed makes anything more interesting, even if it's an interest in how shit it is. I don't think any music that you enjoy is bad per se, but the degree to which you enjoy it marks out the better/best stuff and, as Pilhead says, leaves the less good/worst stuff sounding comparatively dull.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm uncomfortable with my own relativist position, ofc. Can it be said that the vengaboys aren't shit? Perhaps if the vengaboys was the only music on earth - then it would be good, miraculous even. But you could be listening to Sam Cooke or something.

sadmanbarty

That took me back. I presume everyone feels the same way about the music from their childhood, but I'm convinced that 1999-2001 was the best era in terms of pop-for-pop's-sake; spice girls, s club, all those guy chamber's robbie songs, britney spears, etc.