Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my list.

or even the horror of it. i remember my first experience on acid hearing vengaboys and it sounded like marching music for nazi youth

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    or even the horror of it. i remember my first experience on acid hearing vengaboys and it sounded like marching music for nazi youth
    Some people though, it's so amazing, the experience, that they associate any music they hear with it, they associate that with what they're feeling. Could be anything. I know nuff people who are reasonable intelligent people but associate good music with their adolescence and jacking up speed and hearing The Fall.

See also Sleaford Mods.

yeah thats pavlov stuff tho

ime absolutely not. they magnify the banality of bad music.
    that's what i've always found

nothing like as much of a psychonaut as luka, but i do remember one time on acid listening to Slowdive followed by Hendrix

now I like Slowdive... pleasant as far as it goes

but Slowdive was all shades of pale pastel colours - a palette of pinky-greys... their limitations, timbrally, were synaesthetically exposed

and then Hendrix (i can't remember which - probably 'Third Stone from the Sun' or '1983 A Merman) was the veritable explosion of colours - like Peter Cook as the Devil describing God in Bedazzled, "many-hued". his vast superiority (not a revelation or surprise, of course) was brutally underlined

another instance of the same gulf was the acid-enhanced contrast of Ozric Tentacles and Can's Soon Over Babaluma (Ozrics not my idea i hasten to add, my friend had that tape!)

drugs just expose the shortcomings of musical things ... you just are truly profoundly bored
    Last edited by PiLhead; 12-10-2017 at 07:30 PM.

I think weed makes anything more interesting, even if it's an interest in how shit it is. I don't think any music that you enjoy is bad per se, but the degree to which you enjoy it marks out the better/best stuff and, as Pilhead says, leaves the less good/worst stuff sounding comparatively dull.

I'm uncomfortable with my own relativist position, ofc. Can it be said that the vengaboys aren't shit? Perhaps if the vengaboys was the only music on earth - then it would be good, miraculous even. But you could be listening to Sam Cooke or something.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

That took me back. I presume everyone feels the same way about the music from their childhood, but I'm convinced that 1999-2001 was the best era in terms of pop-for-pop's-sake; spice girls, s club, all those guy chamber's robbie songs, britney spears, etc.

oi luka, where's the next instalment?

ok i'll do three more within the next 7 days

ime absolutely not. they magnify the banality of bad music.
    Then how do you explain trance? The vast majority of dance music is execrable and people still like it and its primarily because of drugs.

how do you explain anything? people are weird. youve taken drugs. did you start liking trance?

Drug/brain/music interaction is a reflection of the listeners personality, experience & perception. Trance/EDM/Big Beat/Rave etc. capitalise on unsophisticated lowest common denominator physical and neurological drug effects,which is why so many people get sucked into the rush. So for many people, awful music sounds better on drugs, in fact the music often has no other function than to elicit these responses.

Also some music can sound at its best when stone cold sober if your emotions are primed to meet it.

Drugs + or x music is a narrow sum.

Not dismissing it at all, but it's not the whole equation.