Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: listen to something now

Default listen to something now

listen to something and write it up as you listen for me i need you to do it for me do for me now

Lee Gamble - Decode Parms UCK Dub

Sounds like wasps inside an 8 bit computer game. Dub here means echoey. Which I take issue with. It’s now biffing along in a slightly glassy percussive way. This is on a comp and is the only thing I have heard by him. It’s a bit serious. Boffin music. Bit harsher now. Ends now. Just under 8 minutes well spent.
    Last edited by john eden; 24-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

I know nothing of folk music. This is the sort of folk music my dad used to listen to in the car and I'd be wishing the car crashed or blasting DMX into my ears. Predictably enough, now that I'm older, I like this. I like the peacefulness, the slightly off-beat guitar, the collision of feminine high note with male low note. I even like that folky 'E-OH' they put on the end of words. It's NICE-E-OH. It takes me away to another place, probably a fishing village. My hands are covered in fish guts and sand but I can smell the sea air and I'm about to drink 15 pints of ale. I could almost cry.

I should add that I've not listened to a single word of this. I never listen to lyrics anymore. Probably should.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Speaking of old timey shit that once I couldn't stand

It's all so dainty, almost too quaint, but ultimately elegant and light and yet (probably because it's palpably OLD, and not unimportantly pre-WW2) filled with this deep melancholy

'and the cares that hung around me through the week
    seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Dub here means echoey. Which I take issue with.
    this is worth chasing up

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It takes me away to another place, probably a fishing village. My hands are covered in fish guts and sand but I can smell the sea air and I'm about to drink 15 pints of ale.
    i liked this bit best

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Shiba San - Whatís On My Mind
    I found this tune a week or two ago and it's been getting the most play. This idea of writing while listening is probably best to do when the music is new but maybe writing about a tune youíve already heard will work to? When the bass comes in I remember thinking when listening for the first time that this sounds good. When the bass sort of skips every so often it reminds me of shuffling. All the samples and sounds used in this tune are exactly the right ones. The first time I listened, something happened at some point about a third in where I just did a double take and thought Ďwhat is this?í Itís so full of dancing energy but it's that double bass skip every so often which makes this tune so good imo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to continuum For This Useful Post:

DJ Zinc x Chris Lorenzo - Gammy Elbow
    Next up is some Lorenzo x Zinc which on paper can only be good. Was randomly listening to tunes on Spotify compiling a play list and discovered this oddly titled Gammy Elbow. When the bass comes in I thought Iíve heard this before but had no idea what it was or who it was by. Again, itís the bass (a common theme), which gives the tune a mild rudeness and a head up stomping vibe. It just finished but Iím going to play it again. The bass sounds like it carries Basslineís dna but has been refined to the point where it is something almost entirely different. Imagine standing on a raised area at the back of club dancing and watching a decent swathe of people fully into it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to continuum For This Useful Post:

Chris Lorenzo - Come Down
    After finding Gammy Elbow I next clicked on Come Down. Itís quite similar to Gammy Elbow and would work well in a mix as a follow up track to the former. These tunes Iím writing about are a sequence I listen to first thing in the evening currently when relaxing. I seem to do this every so often to kind of soundtrack what's going on during the day (I think) over a particular period of time. The more bassliney and grimey it gets the more fun and memorable time is being had I have deduced. It just finished but again, I will repeat it. The sample about being 'water my friendí is good.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to continuum For This Useful Post:

Tiga vs Audion - Letís Go Dancing (Solomun Remix)
    I think Solomun should probably be bigger or more well known than he is. Iíve been randomly hearing the odd thing from him for a while and they always stand out on their own. Thereís a really great Boiler Room video on YouTube of him playing somewhere in the jungle with a wild cast of characters dancing behind. Well worth a watch. This tune is very typical of the stuff I really like that he does. Quite slow, very atmospheric and with a certain heightened musicality to it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to continuum For This Useful Post:

Burnski & Robert James - Perception
    Totally reminds me of when people like Mark Radford were hand picking certain tunes from the existing house milieu and putting them together, sort of highlighting maybe a development within that existing house scene that hadnít happened before. This track is also the one from the Mad Kezza London bridge is falling down video. You canít really hear the bass on that video so upon listening to this the bass is a pleasant surprise.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to continuum For This Useful Post:

fantastic work from a music gobbling music greedy legend.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Tune by Hikaru Utada; friends have been incredibly enamored with her work but the few times I've glanced at it I've never taken to it usually. However another friend is writing about her specifically at a blog I've contributed to and its pretty engaging to watch someone else's perspective around these tunes, or put themselves through the process of historicizing someone they consider important. The song itself is falling a lot further into the 'not for me' camp as many tunes have done, but its a fairly decent ballad arrangement. She's one of those particular vocalists who isn't peculiar but has a tendency to make certain emphasises that are very her. I heard Reynolds talk at the beginning of the year I believe about how once you're overly familiar with a songwriter, you can start predicting their tricks of melody; their beloved intervals and things of that nature and that causes it to lose the luster a little. This is reasonable but I feel like it's also fascinating to wonder what makes someone start to identify with those decisions as a songwriter, what develops those habits, etc.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

Recognising this thread for the usurper to COTD it is and fuming

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

nah its totally diffrerernt lol its live blogging