Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: listen to something now

strictly speaking it's the phenomenological thread.

This is "Sweet Crazy Love" by Odd Eye Circle, who are a sub-unit of a larger 9-member K-Pop 'group' called L00NA; their agency is actually funded by an arms corporation, and they deal heavily in stylized music videos with tons of subtext, so if Luka dared he'd have a field day with the collective's music. Ignoring the functional stuff going on, this song works to a sort of retro-active dancey-R&B feel that updates the sort of Galleria-middle of the mall Janet Jackson sound with a lot of modern starch. I love the light disco beat beneath the tune and the way for all the typical surge in the keys there's a sense of greyscale (no doubt altered by my perception of the video), and the interlock of the three girls voices (Choerry, JinSoul and Kim Lip; I'd point them out but it doesn't matter when listening as much unless you know their individual solo songs, in which then as a fan it becomes a bizarre game of sorts to deal with these people as 'pieces of a whole').

the times vigilant citizen has covered k-pop have left me genuinely terrified. a level of control, manipulation and psychotic sadism that makes the blood run cold examplified for me by forcing the members of a girl group to all have drastic plastic surgery as part of a relaunch. countdown to the big reveal. what will your idols look like now? very very bad juju. the one eye thing is worth thinking about in that it is not a coincidence. it's very deliberate. so then the question becomes WHY?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Oh you should read this review I'm penning for this one group's single in advance. It's totally going to end up looking like a Suicide Note. A lot of "H-Hey buddy"s. The content truly dishevels the mind.

youre a big girl now. third time in a row.
    nothing much to say. whys it do it?
    'time is jet plane, it moves too fast'
    banal but deeply moving at once

the quaestion always is why can someone so laughably transparently fake skewer my beating heart

0.07- That pedal's nice. it alludes to a poignancy that the chord progression doesn't actually fulfil.

0.20- maybe it's reminding me of the chord progression from ollie mcfarlane's 'concrete'

0.31- I like how the bass waits there, I was expecting it to do more. i guess that's similar to what i was saying about the chord progression; maybe the whole aesthetic of the song is it's unfulfilled potential. It's coy.

0.37- the snares are really low in the mix, I love it. just a gentle patter; it's almost textural rather than rhythmic. rain on a window. i'd have to check but I think uk drill's unique in terms of the quietness of the drums and having long sections without drums; the legacy of wiley's devil mixes.

1.09- sounds like a tambourine echoing, it's more prominent than the snares. it's a very nice touch.

1.14- rapping's good

1.45- i love those glide jumps on the bass, it's like bassline.

2.22- the fade out makes me feel alone in a lonely way. i'm going to miss the song.

2.27- should've ended with the piano. but on the whole the song's brilliant.
    Last edited by sadmanbarty; 05-11-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    youre a big girl now. third time in a row.
    nothing much to say. whys it do it?
    'time is jet plane, it moves too fast'
    banal but deeply moving at once
    This is one of my favourite Dylan songs to sing along to in my parody Dylan voice. Cos he does that 'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!' bit like livestock being herded onto the killing floor.

"Tic Tic Tic" by Todd Rundgren; The squelchy psychedelic sound effects building alongside the song and giving it a cartoonish, ice-cream parlor feel but also an additional character. I hate psychedelic culture. Not the effects, just that the imagination always force slots psychedelicism into certain similar effects and impacts and associations. Its why I've never been a huge fan of doing them, because I continuously feel like any chance I've had to gain any epiphanies from it has been ruined by expectations I manifest from outer influences. Sleep deprivation exercises have given me better satisfactions in sensory experience and just personal insight than any drug, but maybe that's a biological thing. Anyway, the tune's short.

probably just a dosage issue although having said that the person i do poetry with by the thames says all he gets is severe sensory distortion while his thoughts stay as banal as ever so i guess it varies from person to person.

I'm a control freak and have an addictive personality anyway so not fucking around with it is for the best but IDK I've never loved the kind of sensory reactions people have.

I actually found this yesterday so I'm cheating. It's a weird song cos his vocals are mixed so faintly you have to strain a bit to hear him over the casio horn fanfare (which really reminds me of T.I. 'ASAP'). The beat is also slightly bizarre, I think it's the cymbal crash at the start of bars 1 2 and 3 of every whateveritis.

Also he's basically singing instead of rapping, and it's got some good examples of how Gucci rhymes words that wouldn't rhyme if I rapped them:

'Off white yayo' rhymes with 'digital scay-le... fish scale sending my pigeons by mail'

Actually reminds me of a Jeezy song more than anything.

Not on the level of Swing My Door's ultra-clipped mix ofc

Antony Ranz - We Can Jam

8 month old track from Antony Ranz (formerly DJ Random). Got those proper oldskool sounds at the start and bumping drums. When the bass comes in you are like “okay” but it’s as this track progresses that it truly shines. There’s a light icey digital synth noise that interacts with the bass in an interesting way. When we get to 2:52 the bass switches and that synth sound interacts with it in a really sick way. Get this track in the mix with an atmospheric synthy tune and you are laughing. Click the …more button on soundcloud to grab it as a free download.