Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: listen to something now

Crowley and webeschatology do this one! This one! This one!

Collage of history to the now. This is kind of the beginning of rap celebrating itself and it's own history as a statement. By this point rap had existed for over a decade and so you have the old school/new school dynamic already giving way to whole other beasts. Paul was around for so much of that at such an early age, a child prodigy practically when it came to rap production who was around even early enough for the Spoonie Gees of the world so unlike the people he's often compared to like your Pete Rock/Premier/Showbiz & Diamond D types he'd been an enduring character in rap. In a sense that's why him and De La had their legendary chemistry, because he not only knew how to make good beats for the moment but he knew how to present them in a sense of their own history. The same way Mannie Fresh later remarked he produced the Hot Boyz like they were the Furious Five; it's understanding who you are in the moment, and whom you're aspiring to be.

Actual groove hits. There they go; Treacherous Three routines but with 'proper content'. Educative. Illustrative. Recitation, like a cipher by monks or acolytes. De La are immensely tedious to me because they lack the shamanism of the Jungle Brothers, the oratorical demands of a Chuck D or even the earnest egotism of a KRS-One. It's all internally relevant to the back and forth of the MCs but it's done before the audience not FOR the audience. You can easily imagine Trugroy and Posnudous doing this to one another with a back and forth 'pattycake' sequence being exchanged beneath their looking into one another. Reflexive. Later they'd insist they're showmen, and have charisma, and should be rewarded by people despite emerging from their internally locked state to declare how... they're the toughest, angriest nerds you'll ever see and how the people who had showmanship whom others naturally gravitated for are suckers and sellouts. Angry Long Island nerds, always on the outside by trade and by practice, always happy to be 'unique' but then scornful that nobody thought the "You laugh because you think I'm different, I laugh just because you're all the same " pose made them particularly inclusive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

As much as i understand and respect that 3 Feet is the "important" De La album meaning its the one rock lads who dont listen to rap often will champion of raps "importance" truth be told i prefer the 2 albums that came out after this. Its good but yeah its like trying to find any reason to listen to Illmatic at this point for me.

I get what Crowl is saying bout the Treacherous Three style back and forth between Trugoy and Pos and truth be told i feel like on something like "Oodles of Os" they they were sharper and interlinked in that regard. As much as they were influenced by that intial wave of MCs they didnt exactly see themselves as party guys(if that makes sense)

The little collage at the beginning is nice its both part of the most foreward thinking aspect of the album and weirdly probably the most dated cause soon after this you couldnt make these kind of sample heavy albums anymore unless youre like god help you the Avalanches who miss the point and think the reasons something like 3 Feet was good is because it had 300 samples on it and not the fact that Prince Paul has been making beats since 86 so his approach to the craft and sense of humour was slightly more off kilter and attentive than any of them chucklefucks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

I do personally think you are both way too cynical btw

It was the first album I owned so am personally invested

See this was me being polite!

Sorry man i tried

i do really like Posdonus as a rapper though one of those guys you kinda have to sit with a little before all his best qualities shine through

"Breakadawn" rules

Both Prince Paul and Posdonous or however you spell it are all time greats.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

ay ol crowley mate this ones 4 u

Literally all I could think of was trying to remember the Lonnie Liston Smith sample in "Dead Presidents" b/c the melody was so close and yet not. So all I got is that insatiable nag sensation like a giant fissure in my brain.