padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
give me your love is not unabashed romanticism then i dont know what is
ya I misread that sentence, registered in my brain as calling 3-6 unabashed romanticism

my bad - the perils of dropping in + out at less than full attention

tho if anything that contrast with the lushness of Mayfield makes its own lack of substance even more apparent

when I listen to it, after initial distaste, my only reaction is - why does this exist? what is its purpose, beyond simply existing? the hardest thing in art is to evoke a reaction. I would always rather 1000 times hear or see or read something I hate than lazy filler that evokes nothing. that is what I mean by the background thrum of low-level existential weariness that mediocre, pointless art engenders - its pointlessness makes those underlying implicit questions (why does anything exist? what is the purpose of anything, beyond simply existing?) explicit.

if one were to generalize this notion - which I'm not trying to - I guess it might be one potential inroad into "what happened to the love song"

forclosure

Fuck it while this is all careening off the side ill try to chip in

I found this yesterday apprently it came out in 2004 but the tunes were done back in 98, the beat defo sounds like a Ced Gee beat that kinda unorthadox layering of samples and really CHUNKY drums that he was really fond of round the "Funk your head up" era i know alot of people think of that album as a sore point for Ultramag but i like some of the tunes off it.

I like Ced as a rapper but his voice sounds really bad on this, his lyrics are just as baffling talking about lyrics conjuring demons and how hes like lightning cause he "petrify forms of a different substance" and i dig all that imaginative stuff but his voice he sounds like hes 60 or something.

The guy on the first verse is Marq Spekt(then Spekts) apprently he won some contest and got flew out from Philly to work with Ced so there are early verses from him and well he sounds like a underground rapper in 98 more esoteric and not as sharp and direct as he is now the odd book refferences are still there but yeah its kinda adorable hearing him at this stage when later on he would become one of those interesting backpack rap guys who at the same time chillin with the Lo Life gang was friends with dudes like Bigg Jus and MF DOOM.

sadmanbarty

those 4x4 kicks have always been a barrier to me too but it does have an energy all it's own. not one either of us are naturally drawn to perhaps but it exists and sometimes i can feel my way into it.

that's what this thread is for. now thirdform needs to impart his experience of it unto us. give us our angle in.

padraig (u.s.)

Padraig, do this one!

I mean it's pretty terrible but I kind of like it. a shitty knock-off of the The Cult crossed with Hanoi Rocks, like if the New York Dolls had been only the glam part. their haircuts/hats are pretty awesome. Can't put my finger on why but it feels definitively British in the way that's it hard to imagine generic 80s American bros pounding Budweiser to it in a sports bar. it has that ersatz blues quality in rock that the British perfected. It reminds me of that Australian band Jet a bit, but less of an obvious commercial grab, more an ordinary 2nd-tier example of a particular commercial rock sound. You hear this and you're like, oh yeah, Poison + GNR are gonna be huge in like 3 years, but you can hear that a lot more clearly in Hanoi Rocks. it makes me think about the glam continuum.

I find less mildly existentially wearying than "Lick My Nuts", tho possibly because I have higher aesthetic tolerance for a basic package of tired Stones/Faces rock cliches than for tired misogynistic sex rap cliches.

sadmanbarty

BARTI DO THIS ONE

those 'reverse' sounding glides are very viscerally yanking back. crash test dummy's in slow-mo when their bodies are going back while their heads are still going forward. it's so potent that the rest of the song is just waiting for it to come back; an anticipation. the rest of the music is rather blase, but that doesn't matter because it's all just filler until you get that "wumb" that gives you the satisfaction you're after.

snare drum's come in. i'm ideologically opposed to snares on the two and the four, but those quarter note syncopations just before and after makes them really funky. actually funnily enough the dance it invokes is like a controlled, more deliberate version of that crash test thing i was talking about.

the glide's come in on the strings, hinting at mania. hinting and frantic hysteria. just hinting though. a micro dose of 'journey from the light'.

strings have gone sparse again allowing me to focus back on the drums again. there it is again; that loose neck being bounced. leading from the chin. i don't listen to much music that evokes this kind of physicality in me.

it's the last third or so now. seemingly all the tricks have been used up so it's just relying on me enjoying the general concept of the song. emotionally it's on the nicer end of ambivalence. not catching me much at all. it's safe, warm, inoffensive. pastel blue.

padraig (u.s.)

I didn't read blissblogger's book on glam so idk if it covers glam after glam proper but he seems like a good person to ask in re the glamtinuum

post-NY Dolls glam punk, proto-glam metal, etc

craner

Beast of Burden
I mean it's pretty terrible but I kind of like it. a shitty knock-off of the The Cult crossed with Hanoi Rocks, like if the New York Dolls had been only the glam part. their haircuts/hats are pretty awesome. Can't put my finger on why but it feels definitively British in the way that's it hard to imagine generic 80s American bros pounding Budweiser to it in a sports bar. it has that ersatz blues quality in rock that the British perfected. It reminds me of that Australian band Jet a bit, but less of an obvious commercial grab, more an ordinary 2nd-tier example of a particular commercial rock sound. You hear this and you're like, oh yeah, Poison + GNR are gonna be huge in like 3 years, but you can hear that a lot more clearly in Hanoi Rocks. it makes me think about the glam continuum.

I find less mildly existentially wearying than "Lick My Nuts", tho possibly because I have higher aesthetic tolerance for a basic package of tired Stones/Faces rock cliches than for tired misogynistic sex rap cliches.

You got it spot on, it is definitively British!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that's what this thread is for. now thirdform needs to impart his experience of it unto us. give us our angle in.

well, first of all, stop listening to it like it's a song. listen like its a new language. listen between the bits. the funny thing about hardcore-jungle whilst it was revolutionary in everything to do that it kind of had to revert back to a semi song construction. techno doesn't work like that.

luka

usually when this kind of techno works for me a lot of it has to do with the spaces it constructs.

sadmanbarty

i think i know what you're wanting me to hear, becoming the beat. a sweaty dark mantra. the sound being a physical force and me not repsonding to the force but actually being it.

for whatever reason it's not imparting that to me so far. may be fruitful to really dig into why it's not.

luka

and perhaps about pulling your cells into a higher energy configuration, something very inhuman and almost messianic in it's anti-humanism. the body electric transversed by currents and forcefields and pulses and surges.

a whole night of it i would find very alienating and cold but a little bit here and there
can be invigorating. those alien textures and frequencies and intensities. that machnic indifference to human biorhythms and human affect.

sadmanbarty

so to compare it to the other one, you have much more emphasis of the hi hats on the off beats which lifts you up; there's suspension. the anticipated in breath. with the other one it's just constant resolution.

then of course there's that tresillo bass which doesn't resolve so it become disacociative; two pulses on top of each other. the body has to disintegrate to meet both of them. it's angular. now i'm submerged. this isn't an object outside of me i'm observing, but rather something i'm enveloped in.

it's like one of those animated depictions of spacetime. trying to comprehend something that's cognitively and epistemologically impossible to. and that's not just happening in the body, but in the mind too.

Last edited: