luka

it's like one of those animated depictions of spacetime. trying to comprehend something that's cognitively and epistemologically impossible to. and that's not just happening in the body, but in the mind too.

whereas i only hear some generic house record!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's not supposed to be fun barty. as soon as it becomes fun or something for socialites it loses its purpose. which is basically what happened.

It's supposed to be about jouissance. A fierce joy that is also not a joy. the real lesson of the psychedelic experience. it is supposed to be alien, cold, 100% no soul guaranteed!

Last edited:

luka

i was too scared of the look of the other record so i gave the flynt one a go. it made me very uncomfortable. very painful physically. this horrible caterwauling just strung out indefinitely. which i guess was the point of it. make something very extreme and confronting and potently unpleasant.

luka

its funny cos i'd heard of the flynt thing and in my head it was supposed to be drone chill out music for stoners

sadmanbarty

3rdform, i'm pretty confident i know what you're saying, i'm just saying those examples don't do it for me. they sound like toys.

people often take the piss of me because my eyes roll to the back of my head seizure like when i listen to music, even when i'm sober. them ones aren't having that effect. the green velvet does.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
make something very extreme and confronting and potently unpleasant
hmm

I guess it depends what your take on drone is

it's basically his take on what La Monte Young was doing, but combined with his own Appalachian hillbilly music roots i.e. the fiddle

they (and Reich, Riley, Charlemagne Palestine, Yoshi Wada, etc) were both students of Pandit Pran Nath, he was a stand-in for Cale with early Velvet Underground etc

it's not fully laid-back like Radigue but I don't think it's particularly aggressive, idk

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
certainly the point isn't just to be extreme or confrontational on some like power electronics thing

idk maybe you just don't like fiddles

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
3rdform, i'm pretty confident i know what you're saying, i'm just saying those examples don't do it for me. they sound like toys.

people often take the piss of me because my eyes roll to the back of my head seizure like when i listen to music, even when i'm sober. them ones aren't having that effect. the green velvet does.
i mean even if they sounded like toys (which is fair enough although i don't agree) so does so much 92-93 hardcore. the very pitfall of the avant-garde (and its critiques) is that it doesn't understand that it needs to realise the secret by destroying it. prefiguring the future is fine only if you smash its obstacles, the revolution has nothing to build! read that stewart home essay.