Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The mask. Adele has a silly voice.
The silly voice is a caricature of a particular zone of affect.

There's been a real flowering of silly british singing voices over the last decade - from the Adeles to the Kate Nashses (that's a dated reference but you know what I mean)

I'd assume Amy Winehouse was the rosetta stone for that sort of singing

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think this is a real shortcoming of road rappers - no characterful voices, loads of those sort of bored sounding voices about, somebody like LD sticks out a mile

I mean maybe it's not a shortcoming maybe its a stylistic feature

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ive come around to the latter position albeit barty had to bully me into it

He indie judo'd you

Sometimes I find it confusing myself - 'is this amateurish rapping just filling up space or is it defining it?'

It's easy to covet shit rapping because sometimes its much more charming and lively than sleek professionalism

luka

Quite a lot of it is objectively good rapping but it's a different way of doing things and the ear takes a while to adjust.

luka

Visually its astonishing because its a glimpse of art in a totalitarian surveillance state. The artist as terrorist.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Probably my favourite UK drill song, I love it, but here's an example

1.45 into this ASAP's verse - the bit that always strikes me as really shoddy is the 'more time I be in the trap with chris brown and rita ora...' bit

And really its one of the most memorable lines because of how shoddily its delivered

luka

This is about the horizontal again isnt it. This is what is different about it. These horizontal insertions unmodulated and uninflected. It seems boorish and clumsy until the ear adjusts

luka

Theres no peaks and troughs. Its not sing song. The line length is variable but the velocity tends to be stable.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The bored sounding bit yeah

But some of these guys can't even do a horizontal line without a pile up happening

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But because the whole scene is (from an outsider's perspective) charged with this quote unquote realness it helps to have some rappers who sound like they're not professionals...

All this is well worn from me I'm aware, I need to stop even trying to opine on a scene I barely have any interest in lol

I do admire the way British rappers have learned to use their Britishness I'll say, we're a long way from the days when a British rapper would even think of putting on a Yankee accent

luka

Pattycakes can you do this one for me please. Each distinct segment with its own entry please.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
A metallic smell. A pap of deranged chaffinches flutter above. A chain link fence snaps in the jagged breeze. You're a long way from home now. A clearing in the forest. Climb the mossy steps. Adapt to the moisture. The core hums and rises. It glows to red and drops back to naught. A glatting cluster of kraquebs chatter t'wd your heels. Haiulourintenglesinashonwundory. Skunk stain, hot rocks. Don't go to Ethiopia. Flatulantationoidanals rattle a wretched funk squob. u knod your heagh. Pitch wheels. Selas,. Selassy pelican. How long is a good time to wait to write that reply? Half step, no ain't? Must appear correctly. Borgesian butter biscuit. The Kraqueb's return. Part trois. Shine a sheen of tupperware. Feeling slightly qUeazy. Time to get into something. X oh ecks. Punitive palp. You you muh. Massage the victim. Zhattered bones will pierce. I knew that paraglider was not a good idea.

luka

Thank you. I like that piece of music very very much. I'm made of that music in some essential way.