padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Oi Padraig pree this

personal favourite of mine from when i was heavy into death metal
ah yes - Unleashed, the AC/DC of Swedish death metal

that is high praise ofc - they stick to a basic formula and they do it well. and this is basically the quintessential Unleashed song.

right off everything SO mid-tempo gallop (i.e. latter Wolfbrigade/Disfear speed d-beat), those chugging palm muted triplets with single note accentuation

not the breakdown chug of post-Suffocation brutal/slam death metal, but catchy fist pumping FUCK YEAH chug

anyway, if there's something Swedes excel at, it's straightfoward mid-tempo d-beat grooves, and Unleashed is their champion

and now a bit of tremolo riffing over a blastbeat - i.e., death metal - but just a bit. still v mid-tempo by death metal standards.

this in fact much more of a verse-chorus structure than the Deicide-Suffocation etc lineage of song as succession of riffs - you can hear where Entombed was about to in a year or two with Wolverine Blues. you can also hear where the meta of Swedish death metal will eventually transition from the Stockholm to the Gothenburg sound.

on a related note, this is basically Amon Amarth's entire career encapsulated in 4 minutes

vocals guttural but not full on USDM-style brutal death growl/gurgle - more like a deeper Tom G. Warrior, complete with interspersed "huh" grunts - ofc great, no one ever went wrong worshiping at the altar of the great Tom G.

I like the guitar tone - they're one of the only big 1st wave Swedish bands not record at Sunlight with Tomas Skogsberg, so instead of the typical Swedeath overdriven Boss HM-2 fuzz (which is also awesome, tbc) a cleaner/more straightforward sound that fits their no-nonsense ethos. basically no lead guitar - Unleashed doesn't your frills, just the pummeling of mid-tempo gallop.

lyrics interesting in that they're the first DM band I know of to embrace Viking stuff - influenced I assume by latter Bathory's pioneering of Viking metal - in place of early death metal's typical obsession with death, rotting, zombies, etc and/or evil. it's since been done (pardon pun) to death - see above comment on Amon Amarth - but novel at the time. the line "crush the men of fashion's flow" makes me laugh, like they're going to raid and pillage Paris Fashion Week.

in summation - not the best, or most innovative, and would get stale quick I had to listen to it all the time, but when you want to fist pump and go FUCK YEAH and gear yourself up to march onward to the countless battles of adult life in the modern world, Unleashed is pretty great

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's not differing core values it's just wanky existentialism. it's always visualise, visualise visualise. There is nothing to visualise! I don't go driving around in cars in new york. I don't go on romantic dates or anything. my communal experience are the fucking london underground and government offices with interminable bureaucracies. I even hate most gigs/clubs with plastic people with no spark looking to accrue more social capital. Pubs are dead! Football is dead! speaking your mind is dead! Johnny Rotten isn't tragedy anymore, he's just farce! just a bad joke! American narcissism has colonised our culture. the eye rules now, the ear is amputated! this is whilst i find most British punk boring i get those guys more coz they are not about serenity but force.

and before luka starts acting like a robespierre and admonishing me not to play this game im a Babeuf. It's not whether I like or dislike pop music. It's that pop music doesn't express my experience even if sonically interesting, unless it's also kind of alienated from the petrified values of the past, like up jumps da boogie.E

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
people think I'm some cretinous Italian futurist like Marinetti or a crypto-fascist modernist but that's far from the case. I spit on the graves of geniuses!

CrowleyHead

and sum more

crowley - sorry I missed you last time around (I got that K-pop jam in a minute)

I recall you as a Ministry fan (rite?) so I gift you the ultimate industrial-disco sleaze tune

OH I KNOW THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THIS ONE VERY WELL

This mix has a lot more spaciousness but the bass throb getting subdued kind of kills a lot of the charm.

I can't really listen to the EBMy field of Industrial anymore because it reminds me too much of bad times but it's amazing how its strength as 'aggro wyte rave' of America just can't be denied. That swooping scorched wail, the constant echo blasts of fragmented noise; they all work perfectly in synch with the synth wash and the simply funky drums in a way that should sound corny on paper (and to some extent is).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Dissensus is in an amazingly energetic state ATM considering how near death it once was so applause to all concerned.

I also like that this thread has done so well as a fairly pure muso thread (I've only skimmed full disclosure) with the more abstract threads still having a place.

luka

it's not differing core values it's just wanky existentialism. it's always visualise, visualise visualise. There is nothing to visualise! I don't go driving around in cars in new york. I don't go on romantic dates or anything. my communal experience are the fucking london underground and government offices with interminable bureaucracies. I even hate most gigs/clubs with plastic people with no spark looking to accrue more social capital. Pubs are dead! Football is dead! speaking your mind is dead! Johnny Rotten isn't tragedy anymore, he's just farce! just a bad joke! American narcissism has colonised our culture. the eye rules now, the ear is amputated! this is whilst i find most British punk boring i get those guys more coz they are not about serenity but force.

and before luka starts acting like a robespierre and admonishing me not to play this game im a Babeuf. It's not whether I like or dislike pop music. It's that pop music doesn't express my experience even if sonically interesting, unless it's also kind of alienated from the petrified values of the past, like up jumps da boogie.E

it's funny cos i've actually got aphantasia. i don't ever 'see' images in my head.

but this is all fine and true enough and the solution obviously is to invent a new game and teach us. everybody gets to take a turn being leader or it gets boring. put the Napoleon hat on.

luka

i don't want to play the game when i'm tired. there's no point doing it in a half-arsed way

craner

Beast of Burden
Dissensus is in an amazingly energetic state ATM considering how near death it once was so applause to all concerned.

I also like that this thread has done so well as a fairly pure muso thread (I've only skimmed full disclosure) with the more abstract threads still having a place.

Agree, it's fascinating.

craner

Beast of Burden
No comments on Trump's wild press conference yesterday?

No evidence yet he will lose the next election, although O'Rourke from Texas is the best hope the Democrats have. He has it. If he's not their candidate in 2 years time, I'll be surprised, maybe dismayed.

sadmanbarty

have you lost your mind?!

sadmanbarty

who wants the old corpse back?

he was funny, charismatic, startlingly incisive...

in a bizarre attempt to affect some sage sophistication you've donned this trepidatious supply teacher persona.

come back corpse! we miss you!

do this one:

sadmanbarty

trepidatious elevations,
asiatic equations,
the 5 percent nation,
revelations, invocations
plantations, heart awakens