Youtube comments

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i think this is one of my favorite pieces of writing i've read since a long time, genuinely touching:

michele piteo
2 jaar geleden
This was one of my best friends in the 1980s. SERIOUSLY under-recorded. He was genuinely tuned to the astrale-plane like any respectable Irish "lepracorn"....these types of moon-lit artists shun the spot-light. The real Mike o Shea loved to play and entertain AT home. He had a work-shop/bedroom at first in Hampstead,London; later he got the bedroom and the kitchen after driving out the co-op sharer with his famous tantrums [ax mark in the wall} After staying over-night , there was sense of another dimension...Let alone the eeree sound of the trains passing by at bottom of his garden... heard from within his home those trains sounded spooky/otherworldly... Ha ha when he died ,they kept finding little pieces hashish buried all over the place. One day i found him crying, looking sad and relieved and so sweet...he KNEW he would be dying before he got knocked down by a bus on Kilburn High road ,you know...Sometimes , the magic would take him over and he would dress up like a woman ALTHOUGH never acting like a queen,which was PRETTY funny, but his eyes would be wired different. Not gay as far as i know. Funny,witty,smart, SUPER-SENSITIVE and loved humour; loved to entertain his many friends at home MORE than give concerts or bother to make albums. I met his ghost in garden soon after his death which was an alter -ego opposite of him alive..aloof,cold,aristocratic. RIP....Miko, you are much loved and missed and kept us entertained either clowning around or going into a serious trance-state when the sticks were flying over the strings...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
One of those rare moments where you have this obscure thing with an incredible sounding writeup and the music lives up to it.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
someone uploaded a live performance of him he did on irish television and you can recognize the astral energy, the way his eyes are wired different, the way he was a moon-lit artist, just as that comment describes.

droid

Low hanging fruit, but the comments on this...

Last year, a bad string of events finally caused me to snap under years of just trying to power through it. In this string of events, I lost my partner, my job and what I thought was the will to live amongst other things. I'd written an eight page suicide letter. I've kept the letter beside me on my desk as a reminder. While I haven't recovered yet, and the medication and therapy hasn't finished. With the help of my friends and family I feel I will pull through. Songs like this can help. Oh, and that letter? I'm going to burn it. I don't need that to haunt me too.

Don't forget, folks. There are millions of people out there like yourself. You're not alone. Don't give up.

God bless everyone who had the courage, heart and soul to comment on this song and to share their story. Never be ashamed to shed a tear

I wonder if peter could control his erection after too many minutes with kate doing this

version

darthbj
5 months ago
About ten years ago, I was living in Dublin. One particularly rainy day, I picked up some meds for a sick friend and headed to their place in a taxi. The driver, a black fellow with a thick African accent, greeted me with a massive smile, asked me how I was, and when I asked him back he replied with "I'm doing great mate, it's a beautiful day". At that point, some random song was playing on the radio, but when it switched to Beautiful Day, that guy's smile got even wider and he looked at me, saying "See mate? I told you, it's a beautiful day", drumming on his steering wheel to the rhythm all the way.

It's one of those moments I go back to when I feel really down and need a pick me up.

Leo

World Traveller
World Traveller
11 months ago
I have some thoughts: how are these unknown underground artists aware of these unknown underground labels to get signed to them? The sales of these records must be so low since nobody knows about them and these records would be impossible to find in most shops. Thirdly, do these artists and labels even make any money? It seems like a terrible business plan because competition is extra high (thousands of labels, millions of artists) and customers who can’t find your product in most shops and even if they do, are reluctant to pay for it because today’s culture doesn’t like paying for music. It all seems so weird, it’s kind of a miracle that these records even exist. From a business perspective, I can’t think of a harder product to sell than some random unknown underground techno on vinyl, I think selling lemonade on the side of the street is more profitable.

mvuent

Void Dweller

Paul Buckmaster
1 year ago (edited)
Maxwell Clark: It is Cardew who is the imperialist; he understands nothing of Stockhausen, whom I knew personally, and whose music I introduced to Miles Davis, May 1972, while collaborating with Davis on the "On The Corner" Sessions (including "Ife"). I had brought LPs of Gruppen, Mixtur, Hymnen., as well as Wuorinen's "Time's Encomium". Davis had them playing all day, over a week, on his autochanger. He couldn't get enough, and recognized KHS as the towering genius he truly is. Cardew, as typical of any dyed-in-the-wool British imperialist — cleverly, but not quite-so-cleverly — twists the discourse into falsehood and mere puerile calumny.

firefinga

There is usually a comment under pretty much any tune on youtube that's lamenting about the thumb downers. Even if the ratio is 100 thumb ups to 1 thumb down.

The thumb downers HAVE TO be called out. Music fans are Stalinists.

Last edited:

version

Shock Master
2 years ago
I used to be a break dancer... now I'm Fat

oldskool funk
3 years ago
Street Style Rockers 1980s, Battle Ready always break dancing everywhere we went with a Huge Boom Box, Suede Pumas, Beenie (to head spin) Practiced all the time, Spray Cans, Graffiti Art, Scrap Books, Fat Tip Markers, Tagging everything in site, B Boys, B Girls, Bombed up card board with duct tap on the edges, rolled up floor tile, Poppers, Lockers DJs, Rappers everywhere Hip Hop was my Life. This song was Bangin we always played it during practice, battles and still is Bangin, Brings back Raw Hip Hop memories. B-Boy 4 Life!

The Truth
2 years ago
My old ass cant break to this no more but my soul steps up to the challenge and does it for me.

SS
1 year ago
The first time I heard this in the 80's and that deep opening electric baseline I had something over power me. I felt this electric energy surge through my spine. I heard God say "you are now possessed my son for the remainder of your life". And now 40 years later, God is still right. I am back on this track again.

enrique soler
3 months ago
To all that knew me at the ONES 111HUDSON ST n.y.c or GOTHAM WEST or BROADWAY INTERNATIONAL at 146 ST B-WAY, to name a few. I was undercover Celebrity LIGHTMAN RICOROCK from up the block! doing lights for all these D.Jay's in that era you all know about. I give thanks to our Lord most of you are here till this day...Amen. for many we know as well are not with us no more. So I encourage all to know your Savior whose kept you here as he has done for me. Thank you JESUS! Amen!>>John 11:25-26<<

version

JazGalaxy
2 months ago
It's hard for me to watch these songs now as an adult. When I was a kid, they seemed packed with so much MEANING. Now I feel exiled from that land. I remember it. I can look into it from the periphery. But I can't go there anymore. I just see guitars and drums and bass and mics. The magic isn't there any more.

Still a cools song though.

entertainment

JazGalaxy
2 months ago
It's hard for me to watch these songs now as an adult. When I was a kid, they seemed packed with so much MEANING. Now I feel exiled from that land. I remember it. I can look into it from the periphery. But I can't go there anymore. I just see guitars and drums and bass and mics. The magic isn't there any more.

Still a cools song though.

Suppose it's quite sad this disenchantment, this surviving vicariously through your younger self.

But then again when reading it I can't help but picture this median adult, Steely Dan-listening citizen after six beers and a bit of nostalgia. Like, you've weren't exiled, you emigrated happily for a nice paying boring job and the promise of domestic bliss.

version

Luke Davis
3 months ago
DJ The Droid from Dublin, Ireland cries every time he hears this record.

version

confuseatronica
11 months ago
i think I actually SAW this documentary on PBS one time- the one with this viet cong soldier in his 50s, talking about what it was like in the war and how the american soldiers seemed mentally ill and almost suicidal- both from how they acted and from the propaganda on their side- so the war was about fighting off an outbreak of insane or sick people to protect normal people. The interview where the guy was talking about how they knew they would win because they were fighting for life and they "loved life" like in the song, but the americans seemed to like death and killing...

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i want to see that documentary

I saw this incredible documentary by this Australian cameraman who went on the front line in Vietnam, filming from the Vietnamese point of view, so it was very biased against the Americans. He said it really changed him, because until you live on their level like that, when it's complete survival, you don't know what it's about. He's never been the same since, because it's so devastating, people dying all the time.
The way he portrayed the Vietnamese was as this really crafted, beautiful race. The Americans were these big, fat, pink, smelly things who the Vietnamese could smell coming for miles because of the tobacco and cologne. It was devastating, because you got the impression that the Americans were so heavy and awkward, and the Vietnamese were so beautiful and all getting wiped out. They wore a little silver Buddha on a chain around their neck and when they went into action they'd pop it into their mouth, so if they died they'd have Buddha on their lips. I wanted to write a song that could somehow convey the whole thing, so we set it in the jungle and had helicopters, crickets and little Balinese frogs. (Kris Needs, 'Dream Time In The Bush'. Zigzag (UK), November 1982)

poetix

we murder to dissect
I wonder if peter could control his erection after too many minutes with kate doing this

Absolutely losing it on the train to this and it's not even the first time I've seen it.