Post-Weinstein world/sexual harassment allegations

Leo

deserves its own thread. saw this rundown today, kind of stunning how it's all come out in the just the past month...

Men accused of sexual misconduct post-Weinstein, compiled by AP.

Entertainment:
Celebrity chef John Besh
Comedian Louis C.K.
Cinefamily executives Hadrian Belove and Shadie Elnashai
Actor Richard Dreyfuss: One woman alleges sexual harassment. He denies the allegation.
Director-producer Gary Goddard
Casting employee Andy Henry
Actor Dustin Hoffman: Accused by woman of sexual harassing when she was 17. He has apologized.
Actor Robert Knepper
Showrunner Andrew Kreisberg
Actor Jeremy Piven: Accused by three women of sexual misconduct. He denies all allegations.
Filmmaker Brett Ratner
Comedy festival organizer Gilbert Rozon
Producer Chris Savino
Actor Steven Seagal: Accused by two women of rape. He denies the allegations.
Actor Tom Sizemore: Accused of groping an 11-year-old actress in 2003. Utah prosecutors declined to file charges, citing witness and evidence problems. He denies the allegation.
Actor Kevin Spacey
Actor Jeffrey Tambor
Actor George Takei
Writer-director James Toback
"Mad Men" creator Matthew Weiner
Actor Ed Westwick

Media, publishing and business:
Billboard magazine executive Stephen Blackwell
Penguin Random House art director Giuseppe Castellano
New Republic publisher Hamilton Fish
Mark Halperin
Artforum publisher Knight Landesman
NPR news chief Michael Oreskes
Amazon executive Roy Price
Webster Public Relations CEO Kirt Webster
Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner: Accused by one man of sexual harassment. He says he did not intend to make the accuser uncomfortable.
New Republic editor Leon Wieseltier
NBC News booking exec Matt Zimmerman

Politics:
Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.)
Senate candidate Roy Moore (R.-Ala.)
Florida Democratic Party Chairman Stephen Bittel: Accused of sexually inappropriate comments and behavior toward a number of women, Bittel resigned Friday.
Florida Democratic state Sen. Jeff Clemens resigned after a report that he had an extramarital affair with a lobbyist.
Florida Republican state Sen. Jack Latvala is being investigated by the Senate over allegations of harassment and groping. Latvala has denied the allegations.
Kentucky House Speaker Jeff Hoover
British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon

Sports:
International Olympic Committee member Alex Gilady
Former South African soccer association president Danny Jordaan
Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Stunning, yes, but I'm a bit disturbed they've included a guy just because he had an affair. That's hardly in the same ballpark as rape or even harassment and crosses the line from naming alleged malefactors to straight-up prurient moralizing, I think.

Last edited:

Leo

true, tea, but that's one out of 43 people listed, so don't be too disturbed.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Obviously it's not disturbing compared to the rest of the list! All the same I think it's important to avoid anything that could be seen as trivialising what is clearly a crucial moment in legal and political history.

Leo

absolutely. i think most people are in agreement that guys should get called out for making inappropriate remarks to women, but that's very different from gropers and rapists.

luka

Simmons, who co-founded Def Jam, has often described how Ratner first curried favor by furnishing him with models after they met in 1987. Then an undergraduate studying film at New York University, Ratner seemed to know where the models lived in Manhattan, Simmons has said.

“He was willing to do anything to be of use,” Simmons wrote in his book “Do You!: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success,” published in 2007. “After he hung around a bit and figured out that I liked models, then he made it his business to take me to every model’s apartment he could find.”

Ratner, who has said his father abused drugs and became homeless, found in Simmons a willing surrogate. "He's my son, all right," Simmons told Vanity Fair.

Benny B

I suppose the real test will be the number of actual convictions. I suspect very few on the above list will end up being convicted and most will continue with their careers eventually. I hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Benny B

Photographer Terry Richardson & freelance journo for Vice Sam Kriss should be on there too I think. No surprises there really.

Read somewhere the other day that Ron Jeremy has been accused *massive eye-roll*

Leo

Well, it is and it isn't, I'd say.

sure, a guy who says to a female coworker "you look really hot in that dress" is out of line and should be dealt with accordingly. but that's a lot different from a guy who physically assaults and rapes women.

Benny B

sure, a guy who says to a female coworker "you look really hot in that dress" is out of line and should be dealt with accordingly. but that's a lot different from a guy who physically assaults and rapes women.

Yeah, one is obviously a lot worse than the other but they're probably a lot more similar than they are different. All part of the same climate.

Leo

agree, and this seems to trip up some guys (especially older ones). while they know the latter is wrong and would never actually get physical with a woman, they still don't think it's a big deal to make inappropriate remarks. they'll say things were different back then, we're being too PC, etc.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, one is obviously a lot worse than the other but they're probably a lot more similar than they are different. All part of the same climate.

And frequently of course the comments women receive at work are a lot more explicit than a guy saying they look hot.

Leo

charlie freakin' rose??!! what has this world come to?

one of the few mental images less appealing than judge roy moore in his tighty whities is charlie rose emerging naked from the shower.