Best of 2017

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
these are not necessarily all from 2017, but they are my most played tracks according to spotify:

dedekind cut - integra
vybz kartel - born again virgin
blacksea não maya - comandante em chefe
equalz - don’t worry
the undisputed truth - ungena za ulimwengu
jam city - good lads, bad lads
benjamin lew - face a ce qui se derobe
vybz kartel - marie
john foxx & the maths - only lovers left alive
mark stewart - liberty city

entertainment

some songs I liked a lot:

nite jewel - when i decide
daniel o'sullivan - hc svnt dracones
ikonika - girlfriend
j hus - did you see
jlin & william basinski - holy child
dj python - cuál
zimpel/ziolek - fourth molar

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A tentative top 50 (not in order yet)

Compiling a playlist of old music I've discovered and/or rinsed this year too

sadmanbarty

regardless of personal taste, what have been the big anthems/zeitgeist defining music this year?

migos have done a good job at being the focal point of culture, an explicit aim of theirs.

mask off was a big hit, but doesn't seem to me to be particularly essential; the musical landscape wouldn't look much different without it.

in terms of the uk, am and skengdo were uk drill's figureheads, the 'war is war instrumental' section of their mad about bars was one of the only anthems out of the scene. 'waps' was another one, maybe 'call me a spartan'. 'crash' was a minor anthem. i'm not particularly keen on 'man's not hot', but it's occupying a healthy space being the breakthrough uk drill song.

when talking about the 'best artist since 2000' thread, reynolds said there's not much consensus about these sorts of things anymore. it does feel like there's largely a void where the musical narrative of 2017 should be. i don't think that would have been the case even a couple of years back.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'll always remember this as the year Ed Sheeran covered the fairytale of New York on the radio 1 live lounge.

UK rap (particularly afrobeats side) was the only contemporary scene I was interested in this year.

Think I've just lost the plot US rap wise, sure there's still good stuff out there but I'm not hearing it. Felt somewhat vindicated by the martorialist expressing similar dissatisfaction, except he really knows what he's talking about. Still checking for anything produced by MikeWillMadeIt and Metro (unless involving big yawn Sean) but otherwise ehhh

Mind you I really need to dig into that Future double album at some point...

sadmanbarty

it's also pretty significant how nobody (including myself) cared about that young thug/future collaboration mixtape.

PiLhead

It is difficult to know if things are actually boring and centreless and uninvolving, or whether everybody's libidinal energy / attention has been sucked up by the Rolling Nightmare That Is Politics Today.

I do feel like it's having a draining effect... on available affect.

There is also the question of age and how that affects your perspective.

My son for instance is 18 and seems pretty excited by music, but its an odd selection to my ears - Brockhampton, Homemade, Jaden Smith - and ancient Aphex.

Mind you Sadmanbarty is only a bit older than him right and seems to have the older person's perspective so maybe things are objectively entropic.

droid

Top of my head list of ambient/drone here. Overlooked a ton of stuff Im sure, its been another ridiculous year.

Elodie - Traces Ephémerès
Fairge - Claire M Singer
Tomoko Sauvage Musique Hydromantique
Áine O'Dwyer - Gallarais
Richard Skelton - a new frontier
Hiroshi Yoshimura ‎– Music For Nine Post Cards (reissue)
Hiroshi Yoshimura ‎– Pier & Loft (reissue)
Various - Mono No Aware
Pauline Anna Strom - Trans-Millenia Music
OLIVIER ALARY Pieces for Sine Wave Oscillators
Recordings On An Empty Stomach Gregory Talbot
ekin fil - ghosts inside

Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe: Levitation Praxis Pt 4
Rafael Anton Irisarri The Shameless Years
Nielu by Olli Aarni
GAILES – Seventeen Words
BILLY GOMBERG – A Changed Meaning
Yann Novak - Surroundings
Tiny Vipers - Laughter
Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage
Gas - Narkopop
Ryuichi Sakamoto - async
Noveller - A Pink Sunset for No One
The Transcendence Orchestra - Modern Methods For Ancient Rituals
Minced Oath- Supersede
Alex Crispin - Idle Worship
William Basinski - A Shadow in Time
Federico Durand - Navidad en el Bosque
Marifa - nafs
Sarah Davachi - All My Circles Run
Stephan Mathieu - RADIANCE X
Stephan Mathieu - RADIANCE XI
The Chi Factory - The Kallikatsou Recordings

droid

Even with the excess of contemporary quality, Id say 80% of my listening has been of older records.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
sexuality is still boring i want delirium, ecstatic agony, the machines taking over the nervous system. fuck memes, fuck selfies, fuck your anaemic wilting emotions, fucking take me to the stratosphere.
fuck the human with all of its able bodiedness, i want the post-human.

Yeah thats not sensible politically but when has music been a primer for sound praxis?

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
ILX's best tracks of 2017 nominations playlist

E.G.

This Preditah/Jorja Smith tune seems pretty average to me (I saw it on dummys top 10 of the year list yesterday) - like a second rate disclosure tune. Like most modern music its too smooth, too digitised, it lacks the sharp edges that UKG had.

As far as UKG pastiche(?) goes this one is pretty convincing

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Last edited:

Leo

the best years in music are the ones where you discover a new genre or label that you'd never previously heard or investigated. after not having that happen for a few years, the highlight of 2017 for me was discovering the russian label gost zvuk (ГОСТ ЗВУК):
http://gostzvuk.tumblr.com
https://www.discogs.com/label/667113-ГОСТ-ЗВУК
https://soundcloud.com/gost-zvuk-records

moody, low-budget, slightly fucked IDM-ish sounds, some more experimental. best releases:
- lapti "v tiraj"
- "ledyanoy album" by aleksei nikitin (aka nocow)
- "collection" by vtgnike
- "yalta" and "super sizly king" by pavel milyakov (aka buttechno)
- "new suggestions" by flaty.

the lapti album also has the best cover of the year:

R-7566904-1444310190-4192.jpeg.jpg