sadmanbarty

The golden year!

flockavelli recontextualised everything else. it becme the figure head for a lot of otherwise deadweight stuff and made it all feel like it was a part of something. the grandure's lost when it's assessed on its own merit.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
it really was. me and corpsey in different time zones getting drunk swapping tunes on twitter.

oh yeah what a night/morning

the only one i remember now was way too gone by jeezy

2010 was great for me cos not only did i discover all the new rap but i discovered all the rap from between 1998 and 2010 lol

forclosure

2012 was a "good year" for me when i think about it

the former cause after ages of being away from rap and listening to indie rock alot of which i barely remember it felt like there was something fresh in the air again, before alot of weird shit got codified and things feel alot more encased compared to back then

hard to explain i didnt buy into the OF hype and i wasnt wowed by ASAP them(i wasnt on tumblr so that might explain things) but there was alot of stuff from alot of new faces and some stuff from old that grabbed my interest

this beat is mad, from time to time this is one of my "summertime" albums

What you man are saying about Flockaveli does ring true cause it feels like now even tapes from C-list Brick Squad members like Ice Burgandy and Wooh da Kid seem more important in retrospect than they did at the time

luka

you could make an argument for waka being the best of the cartoon trap era but 2004-2014 is mad person talk.

sadmanbarty

i'm not going to give a nuanced opinion until crowley descends form the mountain of rap criticism like moses from the burning bush and and delivers unto us a good paragraph or two that acknowledges that there is some truth to what i'm saying and then says loads of stuff i don't understand. by my estimation this should happen around 00.30 gmt.

luka

in 2010 i just wanted to hear 10,000 iterations of that one lex luger beat i didnt care if it was waka on it or ross or even ace hood. all the same to me.
i didnt even care if luger didnt even make it and lil lody did. all the same to me.

CrowleyHead

Also everyone's a GOAT but nobody's a GOAT by themselves.

Except for Tekashi, who's just bad and will never be good because he's never done anything that hasn't been done better by others.

I'm basically of two minds when it comes to Flocka. On the one hand what he did was in fact a gigantic paradigm shifter that realigned rap away from a stale, miserable period. The Jeezyfication of trap was a lifeless, bland style of music that produced a lot of terrible things and also led to the dark age of 'hipster rap' which is the immediate wake of Wayne. Cudi, Wale, J Koll, Drakk, etc. Dark, terrible times. There was an option away from generic struggle, swelling, "I GOT MONEY" anthems. Instead actual bold gesture became the thing, actual dread. Young Jeezy is the sound of vacuous success and chasing of dreams, he's a para-fascist non-talent. It's good that nobody ever listens to Jeezy anymore and that to my knowledge Jeezy has died and people parade around a corpse who pretends to read the newspaper and associate with people. Science is an incredible thing you know.

The problem with Flocka as well is what he destroyed in Atlanta, the "Futuristic" movement... a whole bunch of teenagers making happy rap, excommunicated overnight. Rap went hard masculine again as people demanded testosterone that echoes the Wagneria of Lex Luger and 808 Mafia and a bunch of those kids soon literally found themselves being beaten up by people a decade or so their seniors and it 'made sense'. Now we still live in the toxic swill of the after effects where the dread has just become a dead-vein search for that same hit, even though its no longer there... The music sounds decrepit mostly, almost as if its traded in its rushes for medicine to deal with hepititis or some other ailment as a result of constantly fixing for that roid surge. Dark plods of constipation, drum patterns that don't rush past you but instead pathetically dribble. 88th tier Zaytoven pastiches of his most childlike melodies.

IDK. Flocka feels terrible now for me.

luka

hopefully he'll find a way to strongly disagree with both of us.

wicked i knew we could count on crowley. i have to admit i really like aggeSSive testosterone riddled para-facism. (as an aside, not as a justification, if you watch rubble kings you'll see all those bronx gangs were facist organisations)
but to me waka flocka flame (& luger) inaugurates the cartoon trap era. it's different becasue it's fun and deliberately overblown. he's even got the name of a cartoon character. i can't imagine jeezy (or alley boy or whatever) making something like
but then there's probably a precedent in gucci. there usually is.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Gucci was surely the first cartoon trapper (or most important).

Early Waka appearance.

My favourite Luger beats/songs are Hard in da Paint and Who da Neighbours.

I do like BMF but never clicked for me like those two did.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
true - I wonder if Waka was another father of so-called 'mumble rap' (along with wayne, i guess?)

Jeezy was a bit more of a shouter than Gucci (who i've only just realised might have been parodying jeezy's 'yeyahhhhhhhhhh's with his own 'ayeyahhh!'s)

I do agree that on the whole jeezy is a bit boring though and I like the idea of him as a facist. A sort of mussolini of trap.

Gucci brought so many Atlanta ppl through (or seems to have) - waka, thug, migos, etc... Even Future to some extent?

also no Gucci = no Chief Keef

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
a good poll/discussion would be the best rap beats from the last decade

i would start with 'i'm a boss' and work down from there