Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The hip hop never ever ever stops thread

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    A list of rap songs that have me teary this week

NAS - Memory Lane
    FREEWAY - What We Do

Because they're so good, but also as they recede into history they become more poignant, especially cos their quality totally transcends the years in real-time

Mind you da kidz might find these boring
    illmatic's quite potently wistful (to borrow a phrase) for me because the imagery it conjures in my mind matches the weather and the general mood i was in when i first discovered it. i get this rose tinted, half-imagined, nostalgia-on-steroids when i listen to it. it's strange, because when i was a kid, 90's rap still sounded relatively modern, but in recent years it sounds so archaic, endearingly so.

im at the age where i cant conceive of anything after '94 as being in any way old and things from the '00s i cant help thinking of as modern.

not to be a spoilsport but ive got zero interest in listening to hiphop of any era at the moment. bored sick of it. although just to contribute this was a much talked about moment we all studiously ignored

"Presto, read the Communist Manifesto" will always be my favorite opening line of any rap song ever

whole song is full of gems "rip thru em from the tip of my Mao-Tse tongue", the immortal "I'd like to take a moment and say 'Fuck Columbus'"

+ huge love to Oakland, one of my favorite places on Earth

5. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Ultramagnetic MC's introduction of 1989 NBA All-Star teams

just an inexplicable historical artefact. It goes on for NINE MINUTES. there's no hooks either, just the minimal James Brown loop.

Totally, totally awesome, just mindbending. I mean they rap about Mark Eaton, and Mark Price.

sidenote: way more white American dudes in the NBA in 89, nowadays they'd be introducing hella Euro dudes

Jam + Lewis on production, Daniel Sofer on keys, and Ice-T absolutely kills it

"from the womb to the tomb I run my game, cos I'm cold as ice and I show em no shame"

for me, West Coast electro >>> NYC, tho ymmv

thats the way i remember it and im sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    not to be a spoilsport but ive got zero interest in listening to hiphop of any era at the moment. bored sick of it.
    22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CORP$EY For This Useful Post:

I bet compiling those you were as bored as Barty at a beach orgy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CORP$EY For This Useful Post: