luka

english culture can be a tip-toeing, self-effacing culture, a cap doffing culture
an apologetic culture so rap can be a useful corrective

and beyond those cultural specifics it can be very hard to learn to assert yourself
to value your experience etc you have to keep working at it

luka

i think there's lots of important life lessons you can get from immersing yourself in rap music.

luka

drawing pictures of muscular men toting big guns

i dont suppose you have any of those pictures to hand you could scan and post for us here?
or if not could you possibly recreate one for us?

CrowleyHead

who else in rap has been that versatile?

Plenty of people to greater or lesser extents.

Wayne's best qualities was specifically he defied so many easy classifications. On one hand a former child rapper so he'd been a star in some shape or form for over a decade by the time Carter III became a momentous celebration. On the other hand he'd come up in a time where even pop-rap was so fragmented and would keep reinventing and re-emerging into new audiences to the point that he felt 'new' again and again. A Milli was just as much an 'unveiling' as the verse on 'Soldier' as much as being on those early Hot Boys songs. By the time one group of people could even claim they were sick of Wayne or something 'deflated' from his mystique (like the break up of the Hot Boys or the accusations of ghostwriting from Gillie or whatever) there was a whole new legion for him to seize on.

CrowleyHead

Also hilariously one of my first favorite rappers was Foxy Brown. Because I had a crush on her obviously but still I think subconsciously part of me was able to recognized being bored with masculinity being hyped up in rap.

Of course you look back and you see feminine characteristics in say... Tupac sometimes, and you rectify how often its there beneath the bravado, even if the rappers might be forced to deflect or deny that aspect of themselves.

CrowleyHead

Of course now is Foxy's aggression in her sexuality the kind of thing Luka would consider 'feminine'. In the fact that she, like Kim, bases her flow off Biggie, is Biggie's voice 'feminine' despite the bassy registers Corpse is pitching as masculine in contrast to Wayne's nasal grate?

luka

craner is a massive foxy brown fan. hes obsessed with that 'maths' verse she does. where shes doing addition and subtraction.
i cant remember where she does it. an ll cool j remix or a firm posse cut i think

luka

Of course now is Foxy's aggression in her sexuality the kind of thing Luka would consider 'feminine'.
please dont force some crude version of my exegesis on me tho

luka

you will very rarely get 'pure' manifestations of these qualities in the same way as you will not eat a meal which is 'purely' sweet or completely sour. we are talking about composites, back and forths, ambiguity.

Benny Bunter

Of course now is Foxy's aggression in her sexuality the kind of thing Luka would consider 'feminine'. In the fact that she, like Kim, bases her flow off Biggie, is Biggie's voice 'feminine' despite the bassy registers Corpse is pitching as masculine in contrast to Wayne's nasal grate?

The answer to this is quite easy - both masculinity & femininity are male-identified.

Last edited: