rubberdingyrapids

Takeover is so unlistenable to me, I haaaate that beat.

didnt kanye say something about liking eminem as a producer? or did i just make that up in my head? im sure hes spoken of his admiration of eminem anyway.
that ploddiness/leadenness was def something common around that time amongst indie producers.
takeover is still better than the ether beat in any case.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That driving beat now I think of it is in a lot of Kanye... I say a lot, I am mainly thinking of Jesus Walks.

Its a sort of expression of his totemic narcissism.

The Eminem beat I like is Patiently Waiting.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The conversation around this is real minefield, so I'll just say that it's really shocking and - whatever he did and was, or was or wasn't trying to be - he was undeniably talented, one of those 'I'm annoyed I like their music so much' cases for me...

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'v been listening to Jimmy Wopo today, mostly. Really old school rhyme skills but up to date with the violent content. I assume this is a Philly thing? Damn, he was really good. What a loss. Anyone heard any of the tapes?

From the Youtubes: he gotta go back he just bodied the beat

droid

The conversation around this is real minefield, so I'll just say that it's really shocking and - whatever he did and was, or was or wasn't trying to be - he was undeniably talented, one of those 'I'm annoyed I like their music so much' cases for me...

Had never heard of him until his death, saw some mumble shit and almost wrote him off, but then...

That is one hardcore tune & video.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I bought 'Feel So Good' on cassette when it came out, must have been one of the first rap singles I bought.

Also bought 'I Wish' by Skeelo on cassette which to this day I absolutely love and revere as my short-man anthem.

'Danger' was one I heard early too.

Makes me think we should do a one hit wonders thread.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was listening to the new drake album today - I quite like it but anyway

Was there a rapper who instituted this whole self-pitying 'it's lonely at the top'/'they'll appreciate me when i'm gone' sort of thing? I'm thinking Jay-Z, maybe? I know Puffy and co did the whole 'playa haters' thing first but was it Jay-Z who first took it emo?