sadmanbarty

he made some of the most genuinely diabolical (in the devlish sense) music ever.

this is literally satan:

this isn't far off

underneath all the campness, this one's got it

forclosure

It kinda pains me to say this cause i dont want to write off an entire sound/wave but ive tried and i just dont like Soundcloud rap.

I like Playboi Cardi's ear for beats more than i like Cardi as a rapper (Pierre Bourne is a great producer), i think XXX & 6ix9nine are awful,don't care for Pump or Trippie Redd

Uzi Vert is "ok", Lil Peep definitly had those emo vocal melodies down but nah not for me and i really don't like his voice. don't like Denzel Curry either although despite being from Florida i'm not suure if he counts.

i'm kinda disheartened cause i'd like to think theres at least one of em who i could say i'm a fan of but no it ain't happened and this isn't the first time its happened for me with rap.(that happened with road rap which i've warmed up to somewhat as i've gotten older) but yeah i would check Ski Mask the slump god but i don't know if he's put out anything lately

It could be because it's geared towards a surburban audience that's why i haven't connected with it but i don't know

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The production he uses is often really good and interesting and I think he can actually rap. (Obviously I'm not saying he can rap like Nas or something.)

I was surprised when I listened to his stuff and found myself liking it cos I'd written him off in advance.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I like Playboi Cardi's ear for beats more than i like Cardi as a rapper (Pierre Bourne is a great producer)

Carti's a weird rapper cos he's more an adlibber than a rapper.

I think it is harder for older ppl to get into this stuff because they're going in with years, if not decades, of preconceptions about what constitutes rap music.

I dunno how much of this stuff is organic but it seems like a lot of it is at least half consciously rejecting of everything the older generations hold sacrosanct in rap music. The way they dress, the way they sing, the way they glorify certain drugs.

forclosure

Thats definitly at play but i remember hearing time ago with Carti specifically he said in an interview that Curren$y was one of his favourite rappers which is interesting cause Curren$y even with his association with No Limit and Young Money is far more traditional in his ear for beats than Carti is but it makes sense

They both kinda have that glased over quality where youre not really missing out on anything but Curreny very much sees himself as more of a "rapper" if that makes sense if youre not paying attention and their the kind of rappers where i feel if they didnt have the ear for beats that they have people would find them very boring to listen to in the same instance.

I think his rapping/ad-lib style is formed enough that if somebody were to imitate it i could point it out and be like "theyre just doing him but badly" but i dunno when i gave Die Lit a listen he felt like such a non-presence on his own songs the album might aswell just have been a collection of instrumentals.

Yachty i dunno his whole thing is a little too "what if i took my 5 year olds garish crayon drawing and make it an aesthetic" for me all garish blocky smuged colours and in all honesty even though im not a fan his attempts to prove to people that he has bars just makes me sad cause its so clearly not where his strengths lie only song of his that ive liked is "Wombo" with Valee.

seems like a nice lad though

forclosure

Its funny though cause i feel like of all them soundcloud brehs hes the only one who has a style where its like hes not trying to command or grab your attention.

Everybody else is trying to do it through screaming/singing,beats with really blown out bass or shock tatics that just have me rolling my eyes more than anything else.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Currency is good when he tries IMO

Admittedly most of the time he's in stoned cruise control.

See FETTI for evidence of him being approx thirty times more skilled than Playboi Carti.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
See FETTI for evidence of him being approx thirty times more skilled than Playboi Carti.

OFC Carti isn't even trying to be Currency - but I like your point re: the glassy, stoned quality.

Interesting to speculate why the lyrical bar has lowered so much from the days of the 90s. Not to say there weren't shit rappers aplenty back then but it almost seems like a 'get off my lawn' attitude to demand any sort of lyrical content these days. And I'm not necessarily against that attitude, but I wonder where it came from.

Not even the 'lyrical miracle stuff', where are the tracks like this nowadays?

luka

as i've mentioned before i think eminem killed rapping rapping. kendrick is eminem but apart from that anomaly i'ts pretty much the end of the line.