Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The hip hop never ever ever stops thread

Love the current crop of New Yorkers.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post

Love the current crop of New Yorkers.

youtube dump please

been vaguely following this 6ix9ine vs. gangs thing - not checking in with the gangs in LA, e.g. he's cruising for a bruising!

quite like his beats but can't get with his voice at all

still find it bizarre seeing NYers waving red flags

crowley hates 6ix9ine its a trap!

Maybe its homesickness/nostalgia and also just the petulance of Atlanta running out of steam in my eyes but I'm just really happy to see the generation past mine put the city back into vitality.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

problem with cardi b is she's a great public personality, but the music's not that good. she's charismatic, interesting, funny and all that, but she's not a good rapper. like this one though.

Need to shout out Crowley for recommending 'Third Coast'. I'm slowly working my way through it but learning loads about the South and its role in hip hop's formation/evolution. Fills in a lot of those geographical blanks for a foreigner, and also shows how there's so much movement going on between regions (e.g. Premier was from Houston, The DOC was from Dallas, Master P established No Limit in Richmond, California...) that the idea that hip hop belongs to anywhere in particular is somewhat illusory.

So far from my vague skimming of the music being written about the stand outs are all the obvious ones - UGK, 8Ball and MJG, the Geto Boys. Some of the Miami bass stuff is great too, and there is some really good No Limit stuff although some of it is amazingly rough around the edges. I found it interesting that Master P was (according to the book) not really interested in music but just saw it as a way to make money. How his attitude meant that they pumped out loads of music that was sometimes almost Avant Garde because of the sheer speed it was being made at. E.g. 'Make em say ungg!' has such a strange and messed up beat, you can imagine any professional studio engineer would take out whole bits of it cos they don't technically 'fit'.

Anyway, great book, thanks Crowley.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

my brain remembered that this came out and its good surprisingly good this is like Killah Priests equivalent of "Sincerely yours southside" and its genuinly nice to hear him upbeat shit

Just realized I missed all the Wayne discussion, but thought I'd throw this out there. I have always found it enlightening to learn about my favorite artists' favorite artists and greatest influences. And looking at rappers who have been popping the past few years, it's pretty wild how much love they all have for Wayne.

Rappers who have referred to Wayne as the Greatest Of All Time include Young Thug, Chance The Rapper, YG, Rich Homie Quan, Shy Glizzy, Famous Dex, 03 Greedo, Maxo Kream, Juicy J, Nicki Minaj, G-Eazy, Mac Miller, Lil Skies and Lucki. I'm sure the list goes on and on, but this was just based on some quick googling.

Ty Dolla $ign, Future, Drake, Meek Mill, Dej Loaf, Lil B, Vince Staples and Ski Mask The Slump God have placed him in their Top 5 (top 2 for Future and Lil B) and Kendrick, Macklemore, 21 Savage, Migos and Rae Sremmurd all cite Wayne as a major influence on their music. Bottom line: Wayne's influence is TREMENDOUS.

Even KRS-ONE has called Wayne the GOAT lol.

I also just remembered this 2015 Fader article where Gucci engineer Kori Anders mentions Wayne's influence.

Todd Moscowitz: He put out Sportscenter and Gucci Sosa and Mr. Perfect and Bird Flu 2 and all this stuff. That went on for a year and change, to where I wasnt sure when I was getting an album. He just kept putting music out.

Kori Anders: He picked that up from Lil Wayne. Hed look at Wayne when [Wayne] went on that whole rampage of dropping tape after tape after tape, and he saw the success he was having. I remember him saying, I can do that. I can record as much as Wayne. I can put out just as much music as him.

i feel kind of half on half about this Longway tape ,his rapping is great but the beats feel kind of lacklustre

https://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtape...i-factory.html

BARTY! WHERE'S BARTY!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post

BARTY! WHERE'S BARTY!
    With 3 girls in an Estonian hotel room listening to an elephant and castle based conscious radio station. Tons of gospel infused soca. Not my choice obviously. How about you?
    lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

do quite like the idea of this kind of cross fertilisation becoming commonplace.

im listening to westwoods new show
    https://www.mixcloud.com/TimWestwood/
    mistersloane gave me the idea. mad i never thought of it before.
    this music is 10000x better in context. random youtubes dont work.
    like this is sounding good to me but i dont think id pay attention if i encountered it as a loosie