Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Been reading online about the circumstances of Nipsey's death and it's a real tragedy, apparently he was doing a lot of work in Crenshaw to uplift the community. Shades of 2pac.

R.I.P. Wasn't a huge fan (as in didn't listen to his music much) but I really rated some of his tunes.

DannyL

Wild Horses
RIP Nipsey. I always liked him as some kinda ambassador of weird West Coast culture that I only half understand.

This one is a banger: https://billywoods.bandcamp.com/
It's better than that actually implies - super-creative production, a great deep NY voice, brilliant lyrics and some heavy mental guitar.
"I don't wanna see Nas with an orchestra at Carnegie Hall".

forclosure

Yes somebody else on heres been listening to Hiding places, i like woods something about his writing and DOOMs feels very reflective of the fact that theyre both african-caribbean so as much as they have acess to the wider black dispora theres this element of alienation because they dont fit in one place or the other (can see how i relate to this) its probably his funniest album aswell

Kenny Segal is a great producer some of the beats feel like your staring down a hole where you just see bits of broken copper and construction metal and piping n that first time i heard his beats was when he was working with Self Jupiter from Freestyle Fellowship(who has a great really lucid,vivid verse on that album) called The Kleenerz

he also did "so the flies dont come" with milo who i dont expect alot of folk on here to be really into him but i liked his stuff cause he feels like the one for a lack of a better term "nerdcore" guy who shed the trappings and grating qualities of that style to genuinly make something interesting and moving still really bookish and deep into his Witgenstein and all that but far more substantial and more his own thing

forclosure

Been into this aswell funny ive been reading A brief history of seven killings and i listened to a talk Marlon James did in 2015 and Hommy despite being Haitian where James is Jamaican is such a distinctly Caribbean writer

Ive got alot of thoughts on this and i kinda hate it cause i would like to write it down and share it with people in some larger stage or blog instead of just here but oh well

DannyL

Wild Horses
I've only just started with the Woods but I can tell it's something that's going to get a lot of play. It's very deep but not in an affected way. Vocally he reminds me a bit if El_P. More later when I've digested a bit.

luka

Been into this aswell funny ive been reading A brief history of seven killings and i listened to a talk Marlon James did in 2015 and Hommy despite being Haitian where James is Jamaican is such a distinctly Caribbean writer

Ive got alot of thoughts on this and i kinda hate it cause i would like to write it down and share it with people in some larger stage or blog instead of just here but oh well

We all want the world to pay attention to us but a few people listening ain't a bad start

craner

Beast of Burden

This is your last chance to tell me I am wrong and this is not the greatest album ever made by people.

luka

Defend albums for us Craner. It's what you were born for. You believe in albums. You believe in statements. I don't. I like a slice of life. I like radio. I like something that's starts and ends in the middle. I like poetry. You like novels. Defend the album for us.