DannyL

Wild Horses
Been into this aswell funny ive been reading A brief history of seven killings and i listened to a talk Marlon James did in 2015 and Hommy despite being Haitian where James is Jamaican is such a distinctly Caribbean writer

Ive got alot of thoughts on this and i kinda hate it cause i would like to write it down and share it with people in some larger stage or blog instead of just here but oh well

I'd be interested in yr thoughts. I can't say it leaps out to me as Caribbean inflected beyond the lapses into French, which is a Haitian thing. I've also read James so I'd be interested to hear your comparison. Seem to be a bunch of Haitians in who've had big success over the last few years - Kodak, Future, I think 21 Savage as well? (via the UK obvs). Perhaps they've struck a pact with Legba? This has gotta relate to migratory patterns in some way, I'd guess - the relationship between Haitians, Atlanta and the South in general - but I don't have any informed knowledge here.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Have to listen again but I wonder if he's speaking Haitian creole rather than French? I suspect so but I'm a monolingual dumbass.

forclosure

The Creole is the obvious one but in the talk i was watching James talked about how the Caribbean has a different style of storytelling to traditional western storytelling, they dont just go from beginning to end, they jump around in different places(start in the middle go backwards then forewards etc), lots of repetition using words just for the sound of them.

Its a really different way of storytelling that for peole who arent used to it or hold the western way up as "the standard" theyll complain that its "anti-narrative"i forget specifically which Asian country does the same but hearing him talk about it reminded me of the similarities

forclosure

I mean also theres obviously Wyclef, but if i remember right Max B, Tony Yayo,Pastor Troy and Capone (CNN) are of Haitian decent aswell,Kodak doesnt surprise me cause Florida has a really big Caribbean population in general.

now that i think of it billy woods is Jamaican/Zimbabwe and his verses are never straight forward i remember first time i listened to History will absolve me it took me a bit of work lol

forclosure

anybody heard that Quelle Chris album "Guns"? that track Obamacare goes in

"Ghost at the finish line" made me a proper fan hes been on a role the last couple years

luka

FOUR DAYS OF RADIO SILENCE. I IMPLORE YOU ALL, SHAME CORPSEY ON THE OPPOSITE THREADS. LET HIM UNDERSTAND HE OBLIGATED HIMSELF.

He's compelled to ignore all requests for attention. Every time I ask for his attention he ignores me. Listen to this radio show I just done corpse. Nah mate, wanking. Read this massive essay I just wrote distilling all my wisdom, nah mate, wanking. Read this 40 page poem I just poured my heart and soul into its my magnum opus, nah sorry mate having a wank. It's just the way of corpse. Craner is exactly the same. coquettish, Teasing, perverse.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's something about obligation that I can't stand. It feels like homework. I'll hoover the whole house rather than do it.