DannyL

Wild Horses
Anyone listening to jpegmafia then? I need to spend a bit more time with the new album, to fully get it but it seems to be riding the zeitgeist - fractured, postmodern, online, mournful, gender variant. It's so now it's painful. Anyone?

entertainment

Anyone listening to jpegmafia then? I need to spend a bit more time with the new album, to fully get it but it seems to be riding the zeitgeist - fractured, postmodern, online, mournful, gender variant. It's so now it's painful. Anyone?

A bit yeah. New one is pretty good. I like Grimy Waifu. Seemed cool at Roskilde. I liked it when he got really excited about that "I can't fucking wait till Morrissey dies". Maybe because it's a rock-leaning festival with 95% white crowd.

version

I haven't really heard him, but I'm into the one you posted in the other thread and can definitely hear the Sly Stone thing.

Answering my own question about whether rap can be beautiful. The hook on this is absolutely killing me. I've listened to this song about 50 times since this morning. The hook is reminding me of Sly Stone. So good.

luka

There's no no doubt collegiate American hiphop journalism is the worst form of writing on the planet.

"Narcotized, addled, and sometimes tender, Future has spent the past decade making whatever music he wants: trap ballads, twerk anthems, petty kiss-offs, trippy blues. His superpower is his ability to smear emotional states into odd collages, his protean voice ascending to the peaks of exuberance or plunging to the depths of misery. In a single moment, a Future song can pivot into the sublime, altering what came before it and everything after. Future is chaos unleashed and distilled."

luka

"The song’s almost choral hook is warm and cocky and aspirational; it feels like a TED Talk sung as a church hymn and delivered in a strip club."

luka

"The song is a case study in his use of melody. On the hook he pronounces “racks” multiple ways: as a singsong chant (“racks-on-racks-on-racks”), as an exclamation (“RACKS!”), and as a croon (“RAAAA-ACKS”). The variations give the song momentum despite its redundancy—every rack feels distinctive. In the age of hashtag rap, which often made punchlines and lyricism feel formulaic, Future unlocked new ways to be clever and stylish."

luka

"For much of this decade, Future has been the wind in sails and the current beneath the ships. He has birthed mantras and moments, artists and waves."

luka

"When Future’s alone he sinks into himself, the bustle of the outside world hushed by the roar of his private thoughts. Part sunken place, part fortress of solitude, in this mode his smeared melodies swell to ink clouds, shrouding every feeling and image and memory in muck—yet somehow rendering his expressions more pure, more honest."

luka

"Future’s writing is cryptic yet lucid: “I just took a piss and I seen codeine coming out.” "

luka

The funniest thing is they're talking about total throwaway trash

"When he sings of empty sex in Gucci flip-flops and the phantom call of Percocets, the window into his soul is open but firmly locked."

U wot mate?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Future’s writing is cryptic yet lucid: “I just took a piss and I seen codeine coming out.” "

LoL! I'm sure I've written stuff like this too.

I must say although I'm a fan of certain Future choons/tapes, I've never felt there's much emotional AUTHENTICITY there.

Interesting that misery became fashionable in rap music in the last decade or so. Emo rap. Blame Kanye?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is it a class thing, I wonder?

Middle class suburban rappers who can flaunt their insecurities with less anxiety? I mean that must be the reason white rockers have been doing it for so long. (Not to mention "artists" of all other stripes.)

luka

Future’s hotness burns hotter because his second album, Honest, recorded when he was in love with Ciara, left so many of his fans cold.

Loool! Corpsey!

luka

Perhaps unconsciously EVOL posits the opposite of love to be, not hatred, but the inevitable response to having it all on a platter (or in a tablet) – apathy.