version

I don't envy people writing about music professionally. It seems incredibly difficult, particularly nowadays.

luka

It's interesting that this happens thought isn't it? I mean, what would possess someone to do these things?m

luka

Hard to say what makes a vocalist boring without vague references to personality or presence or something. It just feels a bit turgid and plodding

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Future’s hotness burns hotter because his second album, Honest, recorded when he was in love with Ciara, left so many of his fans cold.

Loool! Corpsey!

I want to make a couple of notes here

1) the original phrase was "all the hotter", that was edited down
2) I believe this to be written with A DEGREE of irony. If not, may God strike me down.

Re: Future's "importance". Depends what that means. He's been influential on other rappers. His *appeal* seems somehow significant (that's what I was hamfistedly getting at in the review).

Does he have important things to say? Don't think so.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I was a bit nonplussed by how popular that one in particular was.

A better Future song was Turn Up The Lights.

Laugh at my overlaboured prose if you like but I do think his music became nihilistic *sounding*. It wasn't him bearing his soul, it was him disguising it. I guess you might say there was an intriguing disjunction between the nihilistic lyrics and the bellyache melodies?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The best of his nihilistic run was Monster IMO. A lot of people liked 56 nights too.

Mind you he did benefit a lot from the production on those tapes. Southside/808 Mafia and Metro Boomin.

I liked the Future era where he was doing hooks like Bugatti. Foghorn.

luka

I wouldn't say its bad music just that future is not much more than another face fronting the Atlanta hit machine. If it wasn't him it would be someone else with the same machine behind him/her.

Sorry again corpse I genuinely thought that's what you wanted me to do.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think Future is great. Important too. It's more an overall vibe than an explicit statement. Codeine'd out, all surface, with the pain and loss all implicit behind this, and that creeping through in the vocal tones and the lyrics. Rap for the opiod crisis. He's not a good rap lyricist by any means but he's a good pop songwriter (perhaps deserves props for breaking rap out the rappity rap box though that'd been going on for a long time). Reminds me of the blues or R&B singers fully emoting.

I haven't been tuned into rap for a minute though so doubtlessly things have moved on at warp speed like usual, so couldn't comment on his importance now

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
My god though that writing.... fucking hell that'd bring out the cynic in anyone (Not you Corps). It feels so inauthentic.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Probably my fave Future thing is his tape with Gucci, Free Bricks. I love the conceit of this tape. They're just giving bricks away, they've got so much.

What that piece doesn't get over is how stupid some of this stuff is, how much fun.

Last edited: