Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: The hip hop never ever ever stops thread

I've been trying to kick start Crowley's writing career for years as you all know.

I have a commission for him: he needs to write the ultimate book about drugs and hip hop in America.

This is not a glib commission: it will take in history, economics, politics, aesthetics and biography.

Nobody has done this definitive study, only Crowley could step up to the task.

Do it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

I think it could be the ultimate hip hop account, as long as he doesn't forget the aesthetics, which is the major component of why we are all addicted to it.

Obviously the pre-crack/gangster era would encompass the early part of the book, but that would only make the rest so powerful.

Tupac in prison:

I don't like his records, but you can see the charisma jumping off the screen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Keef, ever the innovator.

Yeah, apparently it's something to do with his label. He's trying to get out of a contract by just chucking out albums and they're putting EDM stuff on them for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Tupac in prison:

I don't like his records, but you can see the charisma jumping off the screen.
    Mozzy has just done a reworking of Thugz Mansion (off the new album) which is great - shows how his influence remains. Has to be most influential rapper ever.

that new Chief Keef seems like a good reason to bring up Young Thug's 2014 EDM effort. actually a banger

good on Keef tho if his intent really is to get out of contract. he seems to always know how to play these damn record labels!!

Everywhere I go, don't need security
    A nigga grew a beard, that's maturity

The way he raps this has to be heard not read

This tune is pretty good but by the end it gets on my nerves

Make of that what you will

Default Explain David Drake

trilliam said he was good in greenwhich weatherspoons. crowl said he's good. luke's said he's done some good stuff. my only encounters with him have been a couple of reviews he's written and luke trying to get me to pick on him on twitter.

please educate me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

he has been useful because what he does is that he insists on the primacy of the facts on the ground. that has always been my approach too so by and large i approve of him. he makes the effort to know what the core audience for the music actually listens to and uses. so, most notably he flaged up the importance of gucci way before most other people from his demographic were paying attention. ditto cheif keef. his writing i guess is serviceable rather than accomplished but that's secondary, and of minor importance. getting it right has to be the priority.
    Last edited by luka; 10-10-2018 at 03:55 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: