luka

*patiently waits for sadmanbarty to post texas*

:crylarf::crylarf:

I miss rappers with bass in their voice

They woz all the rage back in the 90s

was talking about this recently in reference to dancehall. the hyper masculine voices of buju and shabba et al. voice of god.

luka

more peak meth

peak meth oozes
a relative rigidity sets in from forever onwards it's undeniable.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
was talking about this recently in reference to dancehall. the hyper masculine voices of buju and shabba et al. voice of god.

I've found in road rap my favourites are those with bassy voices - Giggs, LD, AM, Abra Cadabra

I think Lil Wayne's popularity is probably to do with this shift - Drake being his successor in the nasal department

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

The secret of Meth is that in reality he was derivative of Busta Rhymes but with much less of the showmanship. Even if the production hadn't fallen apart on him he had a 2-3 year shelf life at best.

Not that its a bad thing, DMX was wholly derivative of Meth beyond his Tupacisms.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
That's interesting, I've never linked those two at all - I was actually thinking Redman resembles Busta Rhymes listening to 'Dare Iz A Darkside' earlier - not a big leap to make considering all his 'ha! ha!' adlibs.

luka

The secret of Meth is that in reality he was derivative of Busta Rhymes but with much less of the showmanship. Even if the production hadn't fallen apart on him he had a 2-3 year shelf life at best.

Not that its a bad thing, DMX was wholly derivative of Meth beyond his Tupacisms.

cant see it but would be keen to see you try and prove it with examples and diagrams etc

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Actually I can totally hear it with the song 'M.E.T.H.O.D. Man'

Very rahhr rahhr like a dungeon dragon

luka

on more solid ground with dmx=tupac but it doesnt account for the most distinctive thing about dmx with is that very off kilter sense of rhythm. the way the line is weighted. that doesnt come from tupac. i can follow the argument if it's in terms of personna but not if it's made on musical grounds.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i thought the most distinctive thing about DMX was he had a voice like he'd been gargling fags and growled and barked liked a dog

(on a serious note I think he's great so plz don't come for my head)

luka

im not a massive dmx fan tbh. much bigger swizz beats fan. but for me the rhythm is much more distinctive than the voice. loads of gruff rappers around.

luka

i always feel like a useful exercise is to compare every rapper with freddie foxx cos foxx is ultra linear with the emphasis on the last and, to a lesser extent, first word.