luka

i sort of feel im damning noz with faint praise a little bit here tbh. he obviously does have a deep and serious engagement with music and he obviously did play his part in changing the way critics (and nerds, he keeps mentioning nerds) interpret and value rap music. he's earned the right to be respected and taken seriously and i do respect him and take him seriously.

luka

but if i look at our kids, barty and thirdform, i don't think you can claim they dont have a deep, serious and passionate connection to music. they know more about it than i do and they're half my age.

luka

i also really miss the old days when you would say brilliant stuff online and loads of people would applaud and tell you how clever you are. now you just get ignored.

luka

as wishy washy as it might sound there was a switch from an amateur to a careerist/capitalist model and a corresponding precipitous decline in the quality of writing and engagement.

a lot of what he says i can relate to in terms of writing about grime around '02, '03, and not wanting to do it anymore when the grime versions of tom breinan came along and started using the music to build parasitic careers and profiles.

luka

people like prancehall coming along and taking the piss out of the artists and being disrespectful while at the same time begging them to be his personal friend. all this perpetual line crossing. like you can't just be a fan anymore. you have to bustle into the limelight.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I never intended to write for any of the magazines I wrote for, they approached me cos of either my blogging or what I'd written in other magazines - and all the editors gave me a lot of leeway and support. I enjoyed writing to a word count in a way, it made me more polished as a writer, but I definitely felt that pressure, as Noz says, to have an opinion about music I otherwise wouldn't have had much feelings about either way.

As he says, when you blog you tend to write about things you're excited about and want to share, whereas reviewing - especially when you have to fill a quota - you're often pulling some album out of your proverbial arse, listening to it once, taking notes, and coming up with something that sounds vaguely sensible. Even writing about music you LIKE becomes a chore, if you've got a full time job at the same time, and you're like me and prefer to spend your free time lounging about watching TV.

I certainly didn't phone it in all the time, but the most fun was by far when I really loved an album or really hated it.

luka

i always felt that i should be approached and begged to write for everyone but i never was. maybe not clubbable enough.

luka

theres quite a funny thing about professional journalists as well, the ones without any talent, where they are very very proud of having mastered basic english and learning simple rules and they dont like people who can write naturally. tehy see it as cheating.

luka

ive met quite a few of these people over the years and we both have to sort of politely pretend that im not better at what they do than they are. this weird unspoken thing. that i havent thrown away more good ideas and lines in any given day on social media and here than they will get published in a career.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Didn't really take to the latest Rae Sremmurd album but this came on shuffle tother day and I think the young thug section is stupendous

forclosure

really been enjoying the new Armand Hammer & Serengeti albums as far as esoteric shit goes

but also been enjoying the most recent Outfit,TX album who i got into as far back as 2015 is another solid addition

luka

mostly ignore this world but the first two tracks on this are very good... not got any further than that yet

luka

theyre right. the east coast needs a regional identity. i dont know if you can find it
in the past but maybe im wrong. maybe you can reanimate that template and
make it relevant again.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
But after 3 tracks, it's a bit Ka, nice but fall asleep music, boring, Corbyn music, don't know how they stayed awake to record it music.