CrowleyHead

I mean as far as the X and Meth lineage, this is him while he's still finding the formula and I think it makes a good case.

The bombast of Busta is lost on Meth but you listen to Busta's weirder moments on the 2nd LONS album where he's more withdrawn such as Time. I mean "Time" itself is a post-Freestyle Fellowship song but its such an obvious forebear to a lot of what Wu-Tang would do and when you listen to Busta there the technique he employs is absolutely what would inspire Meth specifically (after all, Meth was from Long Island unlike the rest of the Clan and that's why he was much more distinct, he wasn't quite as indoctrinated into Juice Crew techniques but was basically their Native Tongues guy, just not in content)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UWtXwVPnk4o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luka

i mean, even here you've got heaps of variations but the basic pattern is sort of well, basic, as basic as it gets. still fun tho not having a go

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
has anyone ever written a prosodological analysis of rap music or did they fall asleep 200 words in

luka

id assume theres thousands. its the most interesting aspect i think becasue it's the musical aspect.

luka

and as a side effect the more you get used to mapping it in rap music the better at hearing it in written poetry you get.

luka

I checked out and really liked the Kool G Rap song “Ill Street Blues,” which you can hear:

I frankly was not expecting that, haha. Not because I have anything specifically against Kool G Rap, but because the rap that I listen to from that earlier period is very, very select. The earliest rappers I’m likely to turn on just for pleasure are Wu-Tang, 2pac, Notorious B.I.G., and Run-D.M.C. But beyond that, mostly everyone I’ve checked out was because I was writing a post on them and kind of had to, haha, like Rapper’s Delight, by the Sugarhill Gang. I mean, that’s a great, important song, but just not one I’m personally going to put on for pleasure.I don’t really like rappers who go that far back because, frankly, I think rappers have gotten better as time has gone on. Rakim might be held up as a great rapper for his innovations, but I truly believe that his innovations have been assimilated and improved on by other people. He might extend and shorten his lines in unexpected ways poetically and musically, but he was never able to put them into structures that fit as well together as those of Notorious B.I.G., like on “Hypnotize.” Kool G Rap might have long, complex, multisyllabic rhymes, but I wasn’t sure if he ever combined production genius with a completely novel, complex rhyme scheme like Eminem did on “Lose Yourself.”

lol at this guy wotta simp

forclosure

I got DMXs autobiography as a Christmas present and felt the urge to revisit his singles, Who We Be was a real surprise for me because its dark enough to be a Swans song with so much jail talk on it and thats baffling to look back on

Also for my fellow brits who give a shit Devin the Dude is gonna be doing a gig over here at the Jazz Cafe at the end of August

forclosure

as far as new shit though
Drakeo the Ruler is one of my favourite rappers going right now he ressurected the spirit of the "lover of words" within me also 03 Greedo who i really like for different reasons killed this (trying to describe Drakeos preferred kind of beats to rap over is odd for me i cant find the right words to pin it down)
low key shit talk ftw as the kids used to say

also Starlitos was on a roll last year,especially in a dour mood his flows just have a way of worming into your head and his drawl just leads you by the hand on his thought process
one of the rare maybe the only rapper to push the Young Bleed style of rapping (happy 20th Balls & My Word) into more introspective dark night of the soul style directions

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
thanks for the new shit padraig, will listen ASAP

Had a look at the Billboard Hot 100 today just to see what da kidz are listening to these days and it's striking how packed it is with Hip-Hop/R&B

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Not big news to anyone I suppose but striking how dominant it is in the US, at least it seems so from this chart.

entertainment

never really got into Beastie Boys back in my teens when I was big on hip hop. Guess I was looking for something different, but Paul's Boutique is an essential party album these days.