CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i always assumed the majors keep an eye on what's organically popping and then vampire off it for as long as it continues to sell

but that's probably a very naive and euro way of seeing things

luka

i always assumed the majors keep an eye on what's organically popping and then vampire off it for as long as it continues to sell

but that's probably a very naive and euro way of seeing things

sorry essay length responses only. this is unacceptable!

forclosure

Its hard for me to say cause i very much get where Luka is coming from but its that simulcrum and the way in which Euros like us approach rap and picking up the signifiers and focusing on who gets signed and interviewed or whose "gonna blow next" or whatever (its the only explanation as to why all even now people still hunger for that U.S. approval and take whatever garbage put out by DJ Vlad,Akademics,Charlamenge seriously).

It explains why its only in the last few years that people have started to take UK Rap seriously because the youngers coming up dont have as much of that weird baggage and backpacker understanding of rap the way say Skinnyman,Chester P or one of them brehs from that era look at things,partially because them man arent of their frame of refference but DJs who are old enough to remember when London Posse was relevant and taken seriously do they see the links. UK rap was considered the red headed step child as far as rap subgenres go and last year im hearing a bit of J Hus being used in the NYE celebration. I cant say anybody could predict this happening.

I always think back to one piece i read where the title was something along the lines of "Gucci Mane might be maniac but hes still my hero" as an example of "this is why Americans dont take Europeans talking about rap seriously" all comparisons to Joyce and Rowland S. Howard and it just comes across so rediculous and tone deaf when you dont get the context of where hes from.

I know Crowley and Trilliam probably feel that im pretty harsh on UK drill but while i wont go as far to call it "artless" like Luka and do think theres some good tunes that have come out at its worst for me alot of it is the most "in one ear out the other" music going "defibilate the patient" piano keys,shooter talk,everybody in the video with ballys on,triplet/variation on triplet flows and all. It has its rhythmic differences and once in a while there will be a sound or texture that catches me off guard, alot of the time its just a dull monochrome thud. Especially when you consider where Keef, Durk and others have taken that drill sound to other directions. It feels like them man are just happy to drive this one sound into dirt.

its like the South London equivalent of d-beat in that sense

btw luka Dean Blunt would agree with you on what you said about South London musicians, i remember reading and interview he did with Gaika where he said them man are always usually the quickest to latch on to Americanisms in their music,which for me is probably why all the hype over much of the musicians not just rap and people involved in UK "urban" media being from that side is baffling to me (then again im also from North so there is an inante sense of bias there so take it as you see fit)

Last edited:

forclosure

as for The Game he had his time and i think he got a pass because he was the "token west coast rapper you wanted on a track because getting Snoop was considered too obvious"

side note after filling my face with pizza this Shoreline Mafia tape is nice to listen to when you wanna chill in bed

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
its like the South London equivalent of d-beat in that sense

I know little enough about drill + fuck all about UK drill but that piques my interest a bit. who is Discharge in this scenario? Anti-Cimex? etc

(can't help myself from mentioning d-beat didn't really get done to death until the revivalists came in ca. late 80s onward, after the 1st wave of international hardcore had receded/died out. Finland, Sweden, Japan, Brazil etc scenes all had their own unique takes on Discharge. is this perhaps also true of drill?)

padraig (u.s.)

also, general question: how the fuck can British people love rap but completely not get basketball? I've never understood this.

it's not like being European is an excuse either, the Baltic peoples are mad for it, it's big in Spain, Italy, etc.

padraig (u.s.)

been listening to a lotta electro + original drum machine boom-bap lately tho

"I am the ambassador, a wager of war/a microphone to me is like a hammer to Thor"

luka

also, general question: how the fuck can British people love rap but completely not get basketball? I've never understood this.

it's not like being European is an excuse either, the Baltic peoples are mad for it, it's big in Spain, Italy, etc.

i played a lot of basketball as a teenager. i was the woody harrelson of west ham park. but you cant watch that game. it's a highlight reel, not a sport. teams just take turns scoring every 30 seconds.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno why British people don't go for it maybe an instinctive aversion to advert breaks? LoL

I was really into the idea of basketball as a kid, it was so glamorous. I really like basketball documentaries and highlight to this day but I find it curiously unexciting as a game. I'm a rare Brit in finding football pretty tedious too, but I can at least appreciate that the excitement of that game is how boring it is most of the time and how each goal can completely change the outcome of the game. No doubt you yanks will say it's the same for basketball but to me it feels like they're scoring every five seconds so who gives a fuck until the last ten seconds of the game. Also the advert breaks. Give me 45 minutes where I can ignore the screen for 90% of the time and moan into my lager.

padraig (u.s.)

hoary cliche but watching basketball really is like listening to jazz. there are oh shiiiiit highlight moments but it's more about the overall flow, beauty is in the metastructure.

I'm just amused by the cognitive dissonance

tbf I find soccer (ok, "football") completely unwatchable outside the World Cup. sports is pretty upbringing dependent I think.

luka

football is too sophisticated for the empty calorie sugar rush american palette. they need a high five bro moment every 60 seconds or lose interest.

padraig (u.s.)

woody harrelson of west ham park

you know he's pretty good IRL? way better than Wesley Snipes apparently. also I'm now imagining Cockney Rejects as basketball fans.

actually I bet there's something linking not getting basketball to British rap (as opposed to syncretic biz like grime) being mostly pretty terrible. some missing element.

luka

you know he's pretty good IRL? way better than Wesley Snipes apparently. also I'm now imagining Cockney Rejects as basketball fans.

actually I bet there's something linking not getting basketball to British rap (as opposed to syncretic biz like grime) being mostly pretty terrible. some missing element.

rap seems to be like reggae. not replicable outside the laboratory conditions it was forged in.

padraig (u.s.)

ffs people here love baseball, where nothing ever happens. tho tbf yall have an even more boring, interminably longer version of your own.

I'll throw down a challenge tho to you or anyone - post any good rap song that anyone has ever made about soccer

luka

i was obsessed with basketball. i played every day. i loved it. but i could never watch it. bored me sily.

luka

this is in some werid foreign language so not totally sure its about football tbh but hes wearing a paris st germain shirt