craner

Beast of Burden
I've been trying to kick start Crowley's writing career for years as you all know.

I have a commission for him: he needs to write the ultimate book about drugs and hip hop in America.

This is not a glib commission: it will take in history, economics, politics, aesthetics and biography.

Nobody has done this definitive study, only Crowley could step up to the task.

Do it!

craner

Beast of Burden
I think it could be the ultimate hip hop account, as long as he doesn't forget the aesthetics, which is the major component of why we are all addicted to it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Obviously the pre-crack/gangster era would encompass the early part of the book, but that would only make the rest so powerful.

craner

Beast of Burden
Tupac in prison:

I don't like his records, but you can see the charisma jumping off the screen.

version

Yeah, apparently it's something to do with his label. He's trying to get out of a contract by just chucking out albums and they're putting EDM stuff on them for whatever reason.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Tupac in prison:

I don't like his records, but you can see the charisma jumping off the screen.

Mozzy has just done a reworking of Thugz Mansion (off the new album) which is great - shows how his influence remains. Has to be most influential rapper ever.

that new Chief Keef seems like a good reason to bring up Young Thug's 2014 EDM effort. actually a banger 🔥🔥🔥

good on Keef tho if his intent really is to get out of contract. he seems to always know how to play these damn record labels!!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Everywhere I go, don't need security
A nigga grew a beard, that's maturity

The way he raps this has to be heard not read

This tune is pretty good but by the end it gets on my nerves

Make of that what you will

sadmanbarty

Explain David Drake

trilliam said he was good in greenwhich weatherspoons. crowl said he's good. luke's said he's done some good stuff. my only encounters with him have been a couple of reviews he's written and luke trying to get me to pick on him on twitter.

please educate me.

luka

he has been useful because what he does is that he insists on the primacy of the facts on the ground. that has always been my approach too so by and large i approve of him. he makes the effort to know what the core audience for the music actually listens to and uses. so, most notably he flaged up the importance of gucci way before most other people from his demographic were paying attention. ditto cheif keef. his writing i guess is serviceable rather than accomplished but that's secondary, and of minor importance. getting it right has to be the priority.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Nothing on this tape seems as good as Scottie Pippen but some really good stuff

Update -

Pukka beats from Alchemist. Don't usually like Gibbs but he has some decent verses on here. Also Curren$y sounds more fired up here than I've heard in a long time... But then not really being paying attention and this is also pretty great from this year

Curren$y and Harry Fraud - Radar Tower (2018)

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

she's brilliant. shame her solo album came out a few years too late with rubbish production. should've been a huge star.