Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: childhood synth nostalgia feels.

Default childhood synth nostalgia feels.

cluster zuckerzeit, Sowiesoso.
    klaus schulze entrance.
    suzanne ciani buchla concerts, seven waves.
    black dog productions bytes.

i was listening to boards of canada in bed the other day, kinda ok but really quite boring in 2018.
    Last edited by thirdform; 18-01-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Funny. In my mind, I've got Klaus Schulze totally categorized as mind expanding/infite space venturing/exploring the unfathomable concept of existence stuff. Cluster is always an emotional memory reflective experience, tho.

entrance is a weird one, velvet system and alpha numerique almost precedes late 90s supersaw trance by 10 years but done tastefully of course. it's exhilirating comfort music to bathe in when bed, can get a bit samey but hey thats just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    i was listening to boards of canada in bed the other day, kinda ok but really quite boring in 2018.
    Can we make this the BOC hate thread?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    BOC is basically where hauntology started, right?

It might be interesting to compare childhood synth nostalgia across the generations. That whole radiophonic workshop schtick must seem like ancient history to people who were kids in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    BOC is basically where hauntology started, right?
    Yeah, the musical encoding of nostalgia and the overt retro aesthetic. Led directly to moon wiring club, ghost box and the rest...

Throws the whole enterprise into disrepute.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    It might be interesting to compare childhood synth nostalgia across the generations.
    I was born in novmebr 1994. so mine are house/garage organ sounds:

old mobile phone ring tones:

and of course:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Yeah, the musical encoding of nostalgia and the overt retro aesthetic. Led directly to moon wiring club, ghost box and the rest...

Throws the whole enterprise into disrepute.
    It might be an example of something that was both a good and terrible idea initially.

Like, I know you hate breakcore, Droid - but I would argue that some of the early records and the scene around it where pretty great - but it was almost inevitable that it would crap out into cartoon nonsense and heavy metal.

The trouble with nostalgia is that it is ALWAYS a piece of piss to turn it into something boring and reactionary. So someone will.

that was what i was hesitant to say

yeah everyone talks about how they have great playful melodies n all but all i hear is some middle of the road downtempo beats.

I was moaning about them to another Dissensian just the other day actually. I hope he doesnt mind me recycling my gripes:

I remember being excited when that first 10" came out - it was at a time when I was deeply immersed in the scene - when there was a scene, before that bubble burst. I played the LP out quite a bit at the time, but I was never as mad about it as a lot of my peers, and it lost it's lusture fairly quickly.

I think my main issue with it is the hype, and that they were an odd fit with SKAM/WARP type electronica at the time. Their use of breaks, the tempo of all their stuff (90-110) mostly. To my ears they fit more with the Ninjatune breaks chill out crowd that the cutting edge IDM thing. DJ Food or Irresistible Force with a more knowing retro tinge and more developed aesthetic.

I would also hold them responsible for pushing the more hip hop influenced electronica sound to the foreground, which quickly became an exceptionally dull mainstream default.

That said, I saw them live in London in '01 and they were really good, but as I mentioned, I trawled through every single track they've done for a mix and found almost nothing I could use. I wouldnt begrudge them their fans, but IMO they are nothing like in the same league as auteurs like Aphex, AE and Clifford, more like a Plaid that happened to hit the zeitgeist at the right moment.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

All that said, I will give them Turquoise Hexagon Sun. Thats a tune.