Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: childhood synth nostalgia feels.

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    88

    Default

    haven't really dived into Autechre yet. I think I read somewhere, that Simon Reynolds listed them as one of the most overrated artists of the nineties so I'm surprised to see the consensual acclaim on here. Anyways, I've really enjoyed most of Aphex' stuff so feeling enthusiastic about it. Any suggestions as to where to begin with them?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,376

    Default

    I'd suggest starting with Amber, then Tri Repeate and the Garbage and Anti Ep's. That's basically their golden age and probably my favourite era.

    After that, Anvil Vapre, Chichlisuite, Chiastic Slide, LP 5. There's also the remixes, tons of remixes, varying in quality.

    From EP 7 on they start becoming more abstract and experimental. There's good stuff on every record but it gets more specialist and more of an acquired taste.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:


  4. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entertainment View Post
    haven't really dived into Autechre yet. I think I read somewhere, that Simon Reynolds listed them as one of the most overrated artists of the nineties so I'm surprised to see the consensual acclaim on here. Anyways, I've really enjoyed most of Aphex' stuff so feeling enthusiastic about it. Any suggestions as to where to begin with them?
    tri repetae is the link between incanabula/amber/garbage ep and their later abstract stuff so start there i think. the last track rsdio even sounds a tad grimey. 2010s i really like exai and the live in dublin recording.

    i hate lumping them in the idm category really nothing comes close. arovane etc all shit.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:


  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    i really love dave monolith/photodimensia, yeah it's 80s sounding electro done in an afx stylee but it's so funky and melodic and just can't get enough of that sound yum.



  7. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    tri repetae is the link between incanabula/amber/garbage ep and their later abstract stuff so start there i think. the last track rsdio even sounds a tad grimey. 2010s i really like exai and the live in dublin recording.

    i hate lumping them in the idm category really nothing comes close. arovane etc all shit.
    I would say the LP5/EP7 are the real tipping points. Everything after that involves software based compositional experiments, live control & generative stuff.

    There is a definite grey zone between tri repeate > LP5 where they experimented texturally, but the writing/sequencing method is more or less standard.

    Dunno if its fair to throw all other 90's electronica in the bin. Much of it is quite derivative of early AE, but there are some decent moments from various people.

    Havent mentioned Gescom yet. Might be worth a look for those fond of more abrasive stuff.

    Which Dublin gig do you mean? The one from a couple of years back?

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I would say the LP5/EP7 are the real tipping points. Everything after that involves software based compositional experiments, live control & generative stuff.

    There is a definite grey zone between tri repeate > LP5 where they experimented texturally, but the writing/sequencing method is more or less standard.

    Dunno if its fair to throw all other 90's electronica in the bin. Much of it is quite derivative of early AE, but there are some decent moments from various people.

    Havent mentioned Gescom yet. Might be worth a look for those fond of more abrasive stuff.

    Which Dublin gig do you mean? The one from a couple of years back?
    the one from 2014 that was officially released.

    yeah i went through that fact top idm list again the other week and just, i dunno. i like all the gpr/likemind/b12 end of things and you could argue that is pretty derivative of detroit techno but i can't really connect with a lot of post-97 stuff anymore, 7 years ago i would have been all over it but now it has its moments but a whole album is just too much.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    the one from 2014 that was officially released.

    yeah i went through that fact top idm list again the other week and just, i dunno. i like all the gpr/likemind/b12 end of things and you could argue that is pretty derivative of detroit techno but i can't really connect with a lot of post-97 stuff anymore, 7 years ago i would have been all over it but now it has its moments but a whole album is just too much.
    That gig was so fucking good. The place was jammed and they had a rig that was basically just a couple of control sticks and a few buttons. You could hear them responding instantaneously to the crowd in 4 dimensions, creating some kind of improvised black hole cyber jazz feedback loop...

    The best electronic music gig Ive ever been to, hands down.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:


  11. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,376

    Default

    My mate Dunk posted a proper description of their gear and setup at the time, but its on poxy facebook and I cant find it.

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,376

    Default

    Supported and met them a few times and they came to our (empty) club night on a Thursday back in '98, which Im still unfeasibly proud of. Lovely guys.
    Last edited by droid; 25-01-2018 at 10:36 AM.

  13. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    yeah i went through that fact top idm list again the other week and just, i dunno. i like all the gpr/likemind/b12 end of things and you could argue that is pretty derivative of detroit techno but i can't really connect with a lot of post-97 stuff anymore, 7 years ago i would have been all over it but now it has its moments but a whole album is just too much.
    I think thats generally fair, there's a lot of mediocre late electronica/idm, though there are gems if you look. That Brothomstates LP is pretty good. There's a few Funkstorung related things that are good. Vendor Refill, Posthuman, Phoenecia, Solvent, some OK stuff on Nature and Schematic...

    But generally, yeah, if you want to find good electronica post '98 you have to look outside the IDM scene. Ironic that mainstream house and techno is now more or less what electronica was trying to be in the late 90's

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:


  15. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Les Pays-Bas
    Posts
    835

    Default

    I was born in 86 in Holland so itís the distorted gabber hoover-synth that most comes to mind. I was around 10 years old at the time. I live in Berlin now and Marc Acardipane and The Darkraver are part of a gabber night being held this month in Berghain. The other day I bumped into this couple completely dressed in a 90ís gabber outfit and they were from Brooklyn or something like that. Makes me confused.


  16. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    507

    Default


  17. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,376

    Default


  18. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    w.yorkshire
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    Re: BOC When they came out it was something different, so they stood out. I agree that they wouldn't have done if on Ninja Tune (but probs a bit too outre for them)

    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    From EP 7 on they start becoming more abstract and experimental. There's good stuff on every record but it gets more specialist and more of an acquired taste.
    El Seq is pretty friendly / approachable- El Seq 3 esp.


    (Re: breakcore Been listening to a lot of DJ Scud / Ambush stuff recently and its still amazing. Found a Dhitmat album and daren't put it on, my memory of it is so negative)

    For youthful, rather than childhood synths:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •