Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark E Smith RIP

yeah. the funny thing about it was that it was official. i had it on the cassette single so i know. not that i rated it.

the proper version is amazing though. westwood used to rinse it. the diary is a great album too.

Wings was my personal favourite

no-one defined Manchester like Mark E Smith

"The middle class have this great consciousness about race but they treat the working class like crap".

or...

"INSECT POSSE WILL BE CRUSHED" - which I spent a fortnight obsessively scrawling on the top deck of the X31 among all the usual '(pick a Luton council estate) YOUTH POSSE 9T3' tags

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

During the 1990s he seemed to age a hundred years - in most of the 80s interviews he looks good/possibly younger than his age.

I liked the LCD Soundsystem story:
    James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem is a diehard fan of the Fall — and it shows in his music. “The Fall are my Beatles,” Murphy once said effusively. When Smith first heard “Losing My Edge,” he thought it was a Fall ripoff. “I went into my local shop a few weeks ago for groceries,” Smith told the Wire. “There’s an Irish bloke in there, very nice, and he was playing this [“Losing My Edge.”] I said, ‘This sounds exactly like me, are you trying to take the piss?’ At which point the bloke’s getting a bit paranoid … I mean this bloke [James Murphy], I’ve met him, he doesn’t even talk like that, he’s New York, New Jersey, or whatever. Just some New York arsehole.” Smith took a dig at Murphy on the Fall’s 2013 album Re-Mit —reeling off the line “James Murphy is their chief / They show their bollocks when they eat” on the song “Irish.” When asked by Vulture that year if the lyric was taking aim at James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem — or a random Irish James Murphy — Smith chuckled. “Ha ha. What do you think?” Sometime later, Smith relented, saying of Murphy: “I liked him but he should stop putting on that American accent.”
    Last edited by baboon2004; 02-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

The crap in the air will fuck up your face

"he reads books, of the list book club"

"The clever ones tend to emigrate
    Like your psychotic big brother, who left home
    For jobs in Holland, Munich, Rome
    He's thick but he struck it rich"

I remembered a Fall song I like.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CrowleyHead For This Useful Post:

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benny B For This Useful Post:

Chaotic scenes at Mark E Smith's funeral wake as 'bottles thrown and drinks poured over people'

Actor Steve Evets, who was also a guitarist with the band, tweeted afterwards: Ive got to say, it was just like a Fall gig, some strange people there, and it kicked off.
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-wake-14266255