CRANK NUTRITION.

and others to tune into the cosmos.

This is a point I would like to take up.

Many Erowid reporters recommended cleansing oneself before tripping on anything, which we are meant to take as meaning no filthy meat in the body's temple, when it wasn't recommended explicitly. It's also beneficial to be near water, they say. Arid climes invite the Chitinous Ones, no-one wants that. I think there's magical thinking involved and it isn't true at all.

Because having dwelt solely in the meatspace for some time now I have found that LSD has a new complexion. I would say I was more attuned to the cosmos than in earlier salad- and potato-fuelled excursions. The words of Elizabeth Odell came to me as my eyes described separate orbits earlier this Summer:

Flat outstretched upon a mound
Of earth I lie; I press my ear
Against its surface and I hear
Far off and deep, the measured sound
Of heart that beats within the ground.
And with it pounds in harmony

The swift, familiar heart in me.
They pulse as one, together swell,
Together fall; I cannot tell
My sound from earth's, for I am part
Of rhythmic, universal heart.

The Earth is forgiving of the carnivore and rewards him with such sublime moments borne of a quickness of mind. The lean, efficient form of the tiger or lion is another perk.

But the Earth is less sympathetic toward the herbivore, rewarding it only with safety in numbers and dullness of wit. Humans are unique in that we can choose to deny our nature, but don't deceive yourself into thinking it is good to do so.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well you need either uppers or burgers to activate the third circuit:

thirdcircuit.jpg

which may only be the third circuit, but you surely need to achieve it before you attempt the more advanced ones.

catalog

I can only find reports saying how widely respected they are by everybody else. Big noble handy bastards.

I think the meat eating has something to do with the region, they originate from the border area of India, far north west, towards Afghanistan.

luka

Yes but the article by the failing new york times hardly lends that research its unequivocal support. It very clearly seeks to undermine it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/04/...ustry-ties.html#click=https://t.co/UM0m7xD8Dp

Scientist Who Discredited Meat Guidelines Didn’t Report Past Food Industry Ties
The lead researcher, Bradley C. Johnston, said he was not required to report his past relationship with a powerful industry trade group.

Dr. Johnston also indicated on a disclosure form that he did not have any conflicts of interest to report during the past three years. But as recently as December 2016 he was the senior author on a similar study that tried to discredit international health guidelines advising people to eat less sugar. That study, which also appeared in the Annals of Internal Medicine, was paid for by the International Life Sciences Institute, or ILSI, an industry trade group largely supported by agribusiness, food and pharmaceutical companies and whose members have included McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and Cargill, one of the largest beef processors in North America. The industry group, founded by a top Coca-Cola executive four decades ago, has long been accused by the World Health Organization and others of trying to undermine public health recommendations to advance the interests of its corporate members.

Last edited:

luka

It's easy to say all this is stupid, snake oil, unscrupulous, and of course it is, but it's also intriguing how so many people on so many different, wildly different, diets, achieve results of some kind or other, and are happy, at least initially, with those results. Diets as diametrically opposed as all beef and raw food vegan, from constant calorific surplus to fasting.

I think there is another mechanism at work here, one in which food and nutrients are less important than disruption and sacrifice.

luka

And all this runs concurrently with the forces at work, political, ideological, economic, trying to influence the debate. From the long running campaign to ready us for eating insects, to the lobby groups mentioned in the NYT article, farmers, fast food retailers and manufacturers and more.

comelately

Wild Horses
I actually fasted for 5 days over Christmas - just water and salts. Actually I had some ACV and coffee.

I wouldn't recommend it tbh though.

Fortuitously, I found a massive free-range Turkey in Lidl for £2 on the day I broke my fast and fed like a lion in the days afterwards.

40 hours can be quite nice; feels like a reset.

I was in the keto space for a bit - it feels interesting, your body and brain noticeably rewires as you 'fat adapt'. But lifting gets harder for most people, there are ways to maybe kinda cheat the system with 'refeeds' or small amounts of dextrose but then shit starts getting well complicated.

luka

It's an incredibly complex information environment to have to negotiate. Some things seem fairly well established, eg sugar makes your teeth fall out, protein aids muscle growth, but a great deal is still up in the air.

Last edited:

comelately

Wild Horses
The goal of optimum nutrition often goes unstated - what might make you superman today, might take 10 years off your life. Fitness and health are not necessarily the same thing. At the extreme end of that, you have Stan Efferding's Vertical Diet. Performance today, Cancer tomorrow - ok, that's not quite what he's saying but kinda.

Luka - you aware of the youtuber Vegan Gains?

luka

I'm aware of vegan gains yeah. I'm not vegan and I don't get gains but I like knowing what ideas are out there in the world, wrestling with one another.

luka

I'm not cutting edge no. I was raised vegetarian and never changed. Haven't made any sacrifices. I don't worry much about what I eat. I eat the things I enjoy.

luka

I think there's also the issue of libidinal energy which is affected In various ways by the maintaining or breaking of taboos and of good or bad conscience quite apart from any available nutritional energy inherent in the food itself.

comelately

Wild Horses
I was a fish eater for a bit then had a vegetarian girlfriend who kind of made me go full veg. I ended up cheating and eating meat behind her back - it was glorious. I remember we were watching some talking heads show (Grumpy Old Men, I think), and Jeremy Hardy was explaining how he had basically done the same thing - sneaking off to eat KFC and my girlfriend pouting and saying how disgusting it was. Still, he died of cancer at 57 so she had the last laugh I guess.

A lot of people who are brought up vegetarian 'rebel', but I think there probably is something in the idea that not rebelling and just accepting the chips you were dealt is probably the more rebellious thing. I had a Hindu work friend who was brought up vegan and it just never really occurred to him to deviate - I remember explaining egg mayonnaise to him and him thinking 'egg on egg' just sounded weird.

Cranks vs Cranks!

Last edited:

luka

Yes, well that's all tied in with tricky relationship issues, the need to retain a sense of autonomy etc. Naughtiness, which is something which becomes necessary when you can't exercise your own volition.

luka

It's never ideal but sometimes it's the best option. It becomes incredibly difficult to say if we are being naughty because we take pleasure in the vice or whether it is to do with this assertion of the self, that we are free to do what has been forbidden.