CRANK NUTRITION.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I had a breakfast that HMG would have approved of today. Bacon, eggs, halloumi and a few sunblush tomatoes. Hardly a polysaccharide in sight.

AHEM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/health/red-meat-heart-cancer.html

Public health officials for years have urged Americans to limit consumption of red meat and processed meats because of concerns that these foods are linked to heart disease, cancer and other ills.

But on Monday, in a remarkable turnabout, an international collaboration of researchers produced a series of analyses concluding that the advice, a bedrock of almost all dietary guidelines, is not backed by good scientific evidence.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Isn't the farming bad for the environment?

Cattle farming is a majorish source of methane, which is a potent greenhouse gas - although the extent of this is often overstated, I mean I've even seen people call it the 'main' source of GHG emissions; in reality it's dwarfed by the real biggies (fossil fuels used for electricity, heating and road transport; construction; heavy industry).

But 'red meat' also includes meat from sheep and pigs, which are almost negligible sources of GHGs.

Isn't the farming bad for the environment?

I'll never get my head around how raising ruminant animals on marginal land that could not be used for crops, animals that then cycle carbon back into the soil and at worst consume surplus plant material that cannot otherwise be put into the human diet is bad for the fucking environment.

Humans cannot survive on plants alone, we NEED animals to turn it into fats and protein first.

How is eating local beef, pork, lamb and eggs worse for the environment than eating shipped-in quinoa or salad leaves grown under plastic (and tended by migrants for next to no money) in southern Spain? Plastic which is then bulldozed into the Med when they're done.

Also compare death inflicted on animal populations caused by clearing land and planting monocrops, pest control and harvesting, to deaths caused by farming livestock. Many, many more souls are snuffed out for a vegan burger than a real burger.

Not to mention the damage done to soil by growing wheat, soya, maize, palm oil, etc. Did you know minerals like Magnesium are present in vegetables at about 10% of the level they used to be, due to overfarming? That's a real crisis.

Fucking George Wrongbiot has a lot to answer for. Dangerous cunt will kill us all.

Cattle farming is a majorish source of methane, which is a potent greenhouse gas - although the extent of this is often overstated, I mean I've even seen people call it the 'main' source of GHG emissions; in reality it's dwarfed by the real biggies (fossil fuels used for electricity, heating and road transport; construction; heavy industry).

But 'red meat' also includes meat from sheep and pigs, which are almost negligible sources of GHGs.

Cattle, farmed correctly, are Carbon-negative.
The fuckers will even walk to market if you let them.
EFPpZuEXUAMGcIq

version

I eat meat, m8. I'm not vegetarian. I think the issue with most things these days is scale. It's fine to drive a car, but millions and millions of people driving cars is apparently an issue.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The article says it's bad for the environment and bad for your health.

Clearly scolding, finger wagging, nose-holding, pearl clutching, prigishness and hypocrisy isn't helping anyone.

(the new research is saying that the negative health impacts are marginal, and that the evidence for them is statistically quite weak)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Cattle, farmed correctly, are Carbon-negative.

I'm not sure I get this. What's accounting for the big negative number listed as "soil carbon"? Cattle can't possibly put more carbon back into the soil than is extracted from the soil by the plants that they eat, can they?

And even if there were some theoretical way of farming cattle so as to act as an overall carbon sink, the fact remains that cattle farming is in general not being done like this.

I'm not sure I get this. What's accounting for the big negative number listed as "soil carbon"? Cattle can't possibly put more carbon back into the soil than is extracted from the soil by the plants that they eat, can they?

And even if there were some theoretical way of farming cattle so as to act as an overall carbon sink, the fact remains that cattle farming is in general not being done like this.

Don't be daft. It's not a closed system, is it? CO2 is drawn down by plants as they grow, which is eaten by cattle as they grow and turned into meat for market and manure for the soil, fertilising further growth. Most of a grass plant is root anyway, pull one up and have a look. I don't know if you've ever had a lawn, but believe me, it does grow back.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes but a lot of that carbon is turned into methane, which is far more effective as a GHG than CO2.

Plus a lot of cattle aren't mainly fed on grass but on feed made from soy, which is an environmental nightmare in its own right.

luka

(the new research is saying that the negative health impacts are marginal, and that the evidence for them is statistically quite weak)

Yes but the article by the failing new york times hardly lends that research its unequivocal support. It very clearly seeks to undermine it.

Let us not lose sight of what this new research shows: meat is healthy after all.

The environmental impact is more arguable but arguably less important. Humans evolved to eat meat and thrive on it. Those who don't eat it get ill, depressed, chronically flatulent and are a burden on meat-eaters, our health services and the planet.

luka

That's true Hmg, for the lower orders. The cannon fpdder class. The humpers and haulers of heavy goods. Not for the spiritual aristocracy like myself, the Brahmin class. Meat inteferes with our delicate instruments.

luka

Some of us are bred to bale hay some as guard dogs of the state and others to tune into the cosmos.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Top work here, you two. I love how this thread has turned you both into even more exaggerated versions of yourselves.

catalog

That's true Hmg, for the lower orders. The cannon fpdder class. The humpers and haulers of heavy goods. Not for the spiritual aristocracy like myself, the Brahmin class. Meat inteferes with our delicate instruments.

There's a particular brahmin group, the moyhals, who eat meat. Other brahmins don't like em and call em dirty.